Thursday, March 31, 2005

The grand pink shawl


Pink shawl, fringe detail

Close up, fringe detail, beading

Pink Shawl, body detail

Kate and the big pink shawl Posted by Hello

This is one of my favourite pieces of 2004. It's actually the second crack at this project. The first one was done in blues and while I was in the process of knitting it, I got the colour "pink" stuck in my brain. As it turned out, the blue shawl was too short for me and it wasn't deep enough for me. I like a shawl with some serious fling ability.

Additionally, and this is an entirely personal prejudice, I firmly believe that shawls edges need to be weighted. It is my never humble opinion that if the shawl edge is left unweighted, the entire damn thing tends to creep and crawl all over the place. It just doesn't hang as well.

I will eventually post a copy of this shawl done in blues but I happily sold it to Trish Campbell at Singers. I'm sure Trish will lend it out for an hour or so, long enough to photograph it.

Talk to you all laters; thanks for reading.

3 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, April 02, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Very nice shawl, indeed. I do love the pinks, and wear them too, even though I've recently found that I look better in 'earth' tones. Who knew? I've been wearing pastels all my life, and now find out I should have been wearing browns and moss greens. Oh well. You, however, look good in the pinks. I think you were right to sell the blues (another staple in my closet. sigh).

I'd be interested to learn how, when, how often, with what, etc. you wear a shawl. I've never worn one, but am intrigued. I'm not sure how they'd 'fit' into my so-called lifestyle, (other than for throwing over my shoulders as I get chilly sitting on my arse watching t.v. ...and knitting) but it seems to me that as a middle-aged woman beginning to have those 'tropical moments' that a shawl would be much more practical than a cardigan. And what about those gorgeous lace numbers - have you made any of those? Do you wear them? When, where, etc. Inquiring minds need to know.

 
At 6:16 AM, April 03, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Hi Karin...this particular shawl is very big and dressy and rectangular. I wore this one to an evening function in February (or was it January, I'll have to ask Liz). In this case, it was all about dressing up the basic black long skirt and black shirt - the old splash (tidal wave) of colour.

Personally, I'm finding them very useful and practical, the triangular ones more so than the rectangular ones.

Right now, I'm working on a trinity stitch lace shawl in blue cotton. Hopefully, next week I'll have a picture of it up on the site.

 
At 9:09 AM, April 04, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

It was Jan 25, she looked gorgeous. As a long time fan of shawls, I can honestly say that they are the perfect garment. Far cry from the poncho. Shawls in several weights are a necessity in my life. I work in a very old very cold stone building and keep one at hand for those days when it is warm enough to remove your parka but you can still see your breath in your office.
But seriously wear em with jeans, dresses, sometimes even pajamas. I agree with Kate about the triangle shawls, however I like mine bigger than she does. My favourite recipe for shawls is to cast on three stitches, knit that first row. k1, y/o k to the end and repeat til yo have a HUGE triangle of yummy hand dyed mohair boucle, throw it on and have the entire city drooling over it for a few months then start another.
keep it real
liz

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home