Monday, March 28, 2005

Poncho confessions

You knew this poncho thing got another boost when Martha Stewart, that happy homemaker queen, got released from the slammer wearing one so lovingly created by one of her fellow inmates. Lovely woman I'm sure but, honey, could you have not knit her socks or something? It's a omen of the worst kind when the reversed engineered pattern for the "Martha poncho" showed up on the Bernat website within 24 hrs .

I'm thinking it's a sure sign of a bad fashion summer coming, rather like last year, when thousands, perhaps millions of women who otherwise should have known better thought they could hide their curves under a circus awning. I'm sure it's a particularly attractive article of clothing when you are 9'19" tall and weigh 87 lbs, with your shoes on. Or you happen to be 9.

Even the Oddball here managed to momentarily fall for the poncho thing; however, I had the good sense to make it for my 9 yr old daughter. She thinks it is very cool. Somewhere around here I actually do have the picture of the full item but for now, all I can find is the detailed photos. It is a very colourful poncho... a thing of many colours.

It was supposed to be a stash buster. You know, one of those projects where you use up all the odds and sods and bits and bites of stuff that's accumulated at the bottom of every yarn basket in the house. I was using Briggs & Little light worsted in natural for the carrier yarn and the theory was that I would knit the occasional patch of novelty yarn into it. I had a bit of boa and a bit of salsa left from various projects. This plan, of using up the left overs, lasted right up until pay day.

Then I happened up one ball of something or other that would just fit in right there and I bought it. Then I bought another. And another....and yes, this is soooo very pretty....

You get the picture. The stash busting project increased the size of the stash by 23%, give or take a dozen metres.

But the important point is that the 9 yr old loves it. It looks damn cute on her (because she's 9) and if she ever tries to wear it as an adult, I'll write her out of the will.

Just an aside, it might be a few days before I update the blog. My mom is very very ill and has been admitted to pallative care. Most of my knitting for the next few days will be in a hospital room.

Talk to you all laters and thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Ellen in Conn said...

Peace. Best wishes, to you and all of yours.

 
At 5:07 PM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

I knew I liked you for good reasons - now there's another one. You share my total lack of enthusiasm and sometimes hatred for the poncho. Didn't like it the first time around, don't like it now. I decided to do the ultimate mother sacrifice thing and asked my 11 year-old daughter if she wanted one. She totally hates them too. Since she's approaching 5'7" and weighs considerably more than 87 lbs, this is a good thing.......

My thoughts are with you regarding your mother. I lost mine a little over 2 years ago, after a lengthy and horrible neurological illness. Come back when you can. And this may sound silly, but I speak from experience - give yourself a break and take care of yourself first. You're no good to her otherwise.

As Ellen said, peace.

 
At 1:45 PM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

If there is anything I hate worse than someone who is 9 foot ninteen and 87 pounds it is someone who isn't nine foot nineteen yet chooses to dress as though they are. Kate is doing well I spoke with her last night and will be talking to her later today. I have taken as my personal mission to make sure she takes care of herself and to hand her the kleenex when necessary, and the martini when the time comes. As she has said her mom is an amazing woman and she will be greatly missed. I'll take care of Kate through this.
Liz

 
At 1:45 PM, March 29, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home