Saturday, March 26, 2005

Well, what do you know???

There you go...living proof that I'm not technologically retarded after all. The Linen Stitch scarves doth grace the 'Blog. And the OddBall saw it and She said "All Hail to the Wonders of Technology".

And all the residents of Blogville, at last seeing colour renditions of textile-y looking things upon their computer monitors, declared the day a national holiday and kept their children home from school so All could munch on chocolates in celebration of the Blessed Event.

Sometime between here and the Second Coming, I have full intentions of figuring out how to put up 2 pictures at the same time, but for now, I'm working with the general guidelines outlined in the Eleventh Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Press Thy Luck.

The scary part is that I'm going to have to teach this to Liz. That should be a treat. I need to work on my act a bit so she thinks I know what I'm doing, as opposed to pushing buttons randomly and crossing my fingers.

But again, I digress....back to the scarves. The more astute/less hungover readers will have already guessed there are two scarves in the photo. Both the scarves are of the Long and Skinny description. The pink one is 290 cm x 6.5 cms (115" x 2.5"). The green/blue one is 20 stitches shorter and comes in at 245 cm x 8 cm (96" x 3"). Neither of the scarves has been washed, blocked or fringed yet and I expect those dimensions will change somewhat with that process.

However, all in all, I'm happy with them both. I will be cutting the length on them a bit when I do the "good version" in the Butterfly cotton.

How'd She Do That?

Pink scarf: 6 mm (Sz 10 US) circular needles, cast on 400 stitches. Linen stitch for 20 rows. I used 3 balls of the varigated Bernat Crafter's cotton for these scarves.

Green/blue scarf: again, 6 mm needles, 380 stitches this time. Linen stitch 22 rows. Again, the three balls of varigated Crafter's cotton.

Linen stitch, you ask? ...

Rw 1: K1, move yarn forward, S1, move yarn to back, K1, continue.
Rw 2: P1, move yarn to back, S1, move yarn to front, P1, continue.

Since you've cast on an even number of stitches, you will be knitting or purling the stitches that were slipped the previous row and the float yarn will always be to one side of the pattern.

Karin from London managed to sneak in a comment while I was editting this entry, so here's the source of the inspiration.

http://www.diynetwork.com

I know there's some fancy dance way to hide that long address in something a little prettier but that's a lesson for another day.

The biggest difference between their rendition and mine is they chose to use 3 solid colours and knit in a 3 rows colour A; 2 rows colour B; 3 row colour C; 2 rows colour A pattern.

My 2 cents worth on the exercise: Confession time: For the most part, I hate varigated yarns. I think they turn out either blotchy or stripy and it totally annoys me no end. This stitch, however, is a really good use for varigated yarns. There is enough subtle texturing to blend the colour waves because every second stitch is being pulled up into the new row. It's also a very economical in yarn useage in that you are knitting only every second stitch.

I am going to cut the stitch count again when I do it in the Butterfly. I'll swatch it first but I'm thinking around 350 stitches?

An aside to Ellen in Conn reference yesterday's comments: Go all slap happy with the scanner, woman! You would not believe the amount of stuff Liz and I managed to work through on Friday. We were all day at it but we did a laundry basket and then some. I know we wouldn't have made it through 1/3 of it had we been relying on straight photography. Textiles, as we all know, are very hard to photograph and the scanner just made mincemeat of the task. The scarves above are scanned in and with a minor amount of tweaking on the settings, we had really good results.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, March 26, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Well done! Both in getting the picture up and for the scarves themselves. Never seen those before - is there a source for the pattern (or did you just make it up) and what cotton did you use?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home