Sunday, April 24, 2005

Just for some fun


Mohair scarf

Mohair scarf, detail shot.

Yesterday was a knitter’s dream day. Liz and I got together just after lunch and took some photos of my new scarf and some of her dyed yarns. Then we went over to Singer, aka The Pump House on Lower York St. Trish was working and the three of us sat in the back, knitting, gossiping, telling really bad jokes and surreptitiously drinking vodka and Fruitopia. Nothing outrageous, just a bit of naughty.

We waited for Barb Telford to finish up at the Craft Council where she was gallery sitting and the three of us went out for dinner and of course, knit, gossiped and drank beer. Barb’s an incredible lady. She’s a sheep farmer and a professional knitter and pattern designer. And she’s so willing to teach and mentor. But even without all that, she’s just a lot of fun. I’ve only met her half a dozen times and I’ve really come to like her. She gave me a few tips on felting and confirmed my suspicion that there was a misprint in a pattern I had tried from the Nicky Epstein book.

On other news, I decided I needed a break from the felting. Having things come out wrong, or at least, not what you envisioned, is very demoralizing so I grabbed a ball of The Mohair Stash from Hell. Earlier this year, I scored a mohair/acrylic blend off eBay that was to die for and when the merry-go-round had stopped, I was the proud owner of 11.7 Kilometers of mohair yarn. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it yet but apparently, scarves are going to figure into it somehow.

This scarf is very simple lace. It’s “Feather and Fan” or alternatively “Old Shale” lace which is a four row repeat. For those of you not in the mood to go dig out one of your knitting books, here’s the basics:

I used large needles, 8 mm and the yarn is fairly thin

Cast on 24 stitches.

R1: K2tog twice, [YO, K1] 4 times, [K2tog] 4 times, [YO, K1] 4 times, K2tog twice

R2: Knit

R3: Knit

R4: Purl

Knit for as long as you can stand it, or 65 inches, whatever comes first. Cast off.

It knit up quickly and it’s nice to have something work for a change. Of course, yesterday, I dug out the country roving and started up on yet another version of the felted purse. Do you think therapy would help with this obsession?


If/when I do it again, I think I will add a selvage stitch on either side just to firm up the edge.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home