Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Mother was right...Neatness counts.


Neatness itself...

Is there anything more delightful than the correct tool for the job? I’m a-thinking not. On Saturday, I borrowed a ball winder from Trish, at the Pump House on Lower York St, known to civilians as the Singer Store. I have been a winding fool since. I even went over to Liz’s and borrowed back my skein winder and wound balls from skeins. My shoulder is sore from the winding, to say nothing of my ass from having sat on it for 2 days straight.

And it was worth every nanosecond of it. I never really looked closely at center-pull wound yarn balls before but there’s the gimmick: they stack. Neatly even. I’ve reduced the amount of space the stash takes by at least a third and in my case, that’s considerable. Better yet, I can see what I’ve got and I haven’t a million miles of balled up, tangled yarn on every front. I went nuts with the damn thing and spent hours untangling total messes of snarled yarns that had done the Wango Tango in the yarn box. Partially used balls that always go to hell in a handbasket in short order are all back to the corralled state. The only yarn that remains stubbornly unco-operative is that Matrix ribbon yarn, which I decided a long time ago was demonically possessed.

I, of course, have about 8 balls of the stuff. It was a Christmas gift from Brian and Oneida. I wanted to make myself a shawl from it and there was about a meter of the shawl finished when I decided I hated it. It’s “too much”. I like it mixed with another carrier yarn, which serves two purposes. One is that it tones down the sparkle-sparkle bling-bling aspect of it. Second it makes it more manageable. A huge problem with Matrix, or those other ribbon yarns, is that knit on its own, it is an unforgiving bastard child. A dropped stitch explodes. Picking up stitches? Forget it. Pair Matrix with another yarn and all that nastiness does away. It settles down and plays nicely. Bottom line, the “almost finished but why bother because I would never wear it anyway” shawl is scheduled for demolition as I need to recycle the Matrix. Tearing it out now would largely be a waste of time since balling Matrix is like nailing Jell-o to a tree.

But back to the ball winder -- I am here to tell you – NEXT on the list of things to buy. Next I am telling you. I cannot live without this darling little gadget. I managed to get the entire stash, and it is a formidable mountain of yarn, into two Rubber Maid totes. It’s not so scary to dig through the stash.

On other knitting news, Liz’s little blue purse is felted and it is sweet, sweet, sweet. It felted up very nicely. I’ve got the black felted bag back on the needles with about 6 stitches pulled out of the width and about 6 rows added to the length. That should be ready for felting by this afternoon.

In the meanwhile, I think I’ll spend a little time this afternoon, now that I can see the bottom of the knitting basket, evicting some of the dust bunnies from the living room. Bastards are behind on the rent again.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Just saying.....I'm still reading, just haven't had a burning desire to comment. Not having a burning desire to do much of anything. Rain, rain, rain over here in London, On. We had a week and a half of spectacular weather, then it snowed. Now its raining.

Enough of my bitching. As long as we get May flowers out of the deal, I guess its o.k. As well, my legs weren't really ready for public viewing in shorts yet anyway. Not that they're any better by July, but by then its so freaking hot I don't care.

Keep amusing me with your entries, o.k.?

 
At 5:37 PM, April 28, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

OH, YES...the madness continues.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home