Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Normal service has been restored

Well, I’ve had my fill with the madness of the past month and it’s time to get back to normalcy. I’m reasonably stoic by nature but two family deaths and funerals inside a fortnight is just a bit much and I’m feeling a bit ragged around the edges. I was glad to get to work to start adding structure and stability back into my life.

On the knitting front, I’ve managed to keep busy. After swatching about 10 different edgings for the Trinity Stitch Shawl, I think I’m going to go with the one on the pattern, without any (many) modifications. This pronouncement, should it come to fruition, will just about do our girl Liz in completely. It’s become a bit of a running joke between the two of us in that I’ve yet to complete a pattern as stated in the instructions. Invariably, I see something that needs to be tweaked or down right disregarded in its entirety. The classic moment was the night we were knitting at the pub. About the half way point of the second pint, I started bemoaning the fact that I wasn’t being particularly original in anything I was doing of late. Liz looks up over her mug, at me, at my knitting needles and the project and rolls her eyes, “Yes, I can see that. You’re just turning a sock pattern into a purse, you copy cat.”.

Liz is occasionally sarcastic. That's the primary difference between the two of us. I never indulge in sarcasm. I’m also without fault and have only 7% total body fat.

And frequently,the penchant for pattern modification is not even my fault. For example, this weekend while we were driving to Halifax, I took my new Knitting on the Edge book and a couple of balls of hand dyed yarn to play around. There was an interesting looking scarf and I started in on it. I’m going to check with a couple of other knitters but there’s either a mistake in the pattern or a short circuit in my brain. I’ve turned myself inside out and backwards, and no matter how, I end up with an extra stitch at the end of the shenanigans. I’m going to take a look at it again tonight, just to make sure I haven’t completely lost my mind. Tomorrow, I’ll either be in full rant mode or eating humble pie.

It’s perfectly possible that it’s my malfunctioning brain. I’m willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt right now. A couple of days ago, Liz called to tell me she’s finagled a couple of invites for us to go to the Village of Gagetown to a fibre junkie festival June 3 and 4, where we could indulge in some relentless and shameless self-promotion. I checked my calendar and promptly announced “Nope, can’t do it. Working. Blah blah blah…” and mumbled some vague burblings about trying to get the time off work.

True to my word, I checked the schedule this morning, only to find I’m nowhere near scheduled to work June 3 or 4 or days either side of it. What the hell I was reading, I have no earthly idea. So it’s back to figuring out what I’m going to do in June for my 15 minutes of fame.

Milk that cow, baby….Mooooooooooooooooooo!!!

In the meanwhile, and no need to be hasty here, I'm going to assume it's my malfunctioning brain and not that of the author's that is the problem.

1 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, April 20, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

that's ok she turned the damned scarf into a purse too. Cold feet, Cold neck, but snazzy handbags. Works for me. summer is nearly here, everyone should have a felted wool handbag to carry their sunscreen/bugspray in

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home