Monday, May 30, 2005

Again with the technology


Tree of Life, about 90% complete...

The Odd Ball IT and Technical Support Division has once again been busy with the constant cranky demands of a certain Odd Ball. This weekend, the appliance of maximum annoyance was the scanner, which in addition to doubling as a boat anchor, had the very unique property (for a scanner, that is) in that it didn’t actually scan anything. Once again, it was one of those technological experiments gone awry. First error, I was the one who bought the scanner. In the grocery store. Yes, the grocery store. Isn’t that where everyone picks up their electronics these days? Lettuce, eggs, butter, milk, quart of engine oil and computer hardware…it’s right next to the lentils, dearie, you can’t miss it.

That should have been my first clue. The second clue should have been that they only wanted $35 for the damn thing when every other one for miles around was selling for 4 times that price. Third clue probably would have been the fact it was so big, I nearly had to call a neighbour with a pickup truck to come help me get it home but somehow I managed to heave it into the Honda Civic without needing to pull the back seat out or requisition a tow bar.

To his eternal credit, the Odd Ball IT and Technical Support Division managed to keep his laughter down to some minor chortling and just one guffaw. He looked disappointed when he tried to hook it up to the old computer and after 20 minutes of minimal swearing for dramatic effect, he explained the problem. "The hoo-haw gizmolater isn’t communicating with the erbly maxipixel…and so forth".

Oh, it isn’t communicating properly, now, is it? Wouldn’t be the only one in the room. I know I should be used to it all after 16 years of marriage but I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to deal with this techno-babble is a stiff drink and to lay down with a cold compress on my forehead until some other fool makes dinner.

In any event, through the jigs and the reels and the husband-speak, there was no earthly way to make the scanner talk to the computer and that’s was all there was to it. Enter the Tech Support Division who, after considerable consultation and consideration, decided that the only way out of this mess was to buy a new scanner.

You know what started this journey of Death by a Thousand Trips to Future Shop? This blog is what started it…I started a blog to talk about my knitting. What’s a knitting blog without pictures? So I got a digital camera, which in turn necessitated a new computer, which spawned the need for a new desk, which now nicely holds the new scanner, which I had to have because… and this is a ‘free’ blogging service?? I think I need that drink now.

On the knitting front, I’m not…but today's photo is a picture of the wool I tortured for a couple of hours on Saturday night. This week, I've done about 4 rows of the burgundy lace shawl completed and I’ve got the stitches picked up and the pattern established on the lace edging for the mohair shawl. Other than that, I spend all my time punching holes in otherwise well-behaved wool. And deciding on whether I should be drinking gin or vodka.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, May 30, 2005, Blogger Radona said...

OMG, I am literally roflmao! you are too funny! Technology, the bane of the 40s and up! My kids can whip stuff out of the box and put it together as if they came with directions from the womb! You are right on the button!

Also, with the scrapbook thing! You are right! I fought it for 2 years, all my friends were doing it and I kept saying no, no, no! But here I am, fell into the trap and now I have my scrap corner and my knitting corner! My husband just rolls his eyes and hands me $100 bills when he can because he knows there is no escaping my addictions!

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I thought I was alone out there!

Radona

 
At 1:39 PM, May 30, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Crap, that needle felting stuff just looks too damn nice. I'm still resisting the urge. Stop telling me how easy it is! Although the idea of poking wool with needles for a couple of hours to end up with the results you're showing sounds almost too good to be true.

Now slinking back to the 6 'active' knitting projects plus piles of fabric yet to be turned into clothing for the family, gardening (now that we finally have some sun and warmth) plus dreams of quilting...and the bathroom that still needs little fishies painted on it (a 2 year process, apparently) and I think hubby might have procured the knitting book (Folk Knitting in Estonia) I requested for my birthday. Yeah, I think I can fit a bit of needle felting in there no probs. And I'm also good at runon sentences!

Keep it up Kate!

 
At 8:24 PM, May 30, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

The odd ball forgot to mention the fact that she has been complaining about the fact the computer is too slow. Low and behold it needs more memory to handle the graphics load that it is placed on it. So once again to future shop with the specs to buy more memory. I picked up a lot. But I can hear it now. The colors of my pictures are not true or clear enough. Once again I will have to go to future shop to buy the 500 dollar graphics card to handle the display of pretty pictures of wool. Could I get a 100 dollar one to play games no, that was not a need the 500 dollar one is a need.

 
At 11:42 PM, May 31, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Dearest Hubby, darling....

Please read Radona's comments. See how Radona's hubby hands over $100 bills ...

Enough with the whining dearest...your turn to cook dinner.

Love, ODD BALL

 
At 8:37 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

Well Karin, I have approximately 100 fishies painted on my bathroom. I love them, my DH went to work one day and came home to 50 fish that he didn't comment on, came home the next day and there were more, again with the no comment. I kept painting till he acknowledged they were there.
I no longer have the husband but am thouroughly enjoying the fish

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home