Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Another shawl project


New project


The needles barely had time to cool off before I was into this bit of badness. I’ll make no bones of the fact that I’ve had an ungodly case of shawl envy over Liz’s mohair bouclé shawl. Hers is done in autumn colours and about a month ago, she dyed some boucle and it’s been sitting in the Singer store window. I’ve pondered and I’ve tried in vain to talk myself out of it but….but….but…..dammit all, it followed me home.

Well, it didn’t help that when I was beading the Trinity Stitch Shawl and while digging through that pile of rubble, I found beads that are perfect for this navy and aqua yarn. How could I possibly refuse it?

There’s about a million meters on it and it knits up quick. Of course, Kate with her Never Stick to the Ever Loving Bloody Pattern fetish, has to muck with the pattern. This is supposed to be a very simple garter stitch shawl, cast on 3 stitches, increase by one stitch every row, knit until you want to hurl or you run out of yarn, bind off. No, I don’t think so. I’m so happy with the lace edging on the Trinity Stitch Shawl that I’ve decided this one will not be complete without.

Enter Liz… with her trusty dye pot. I had originally babbled that I thought I would use navy to do the edging, more or less frame the entire bit of fluff in the darkest colour. She rummages around in the Cupboard of Many Things and hauls out a skein of very fine wool, yet undyed.

The pictures don’t do it justice but the two yarns are almost an exact match. There’s less variegation than in the bouclé which is precisely what I want in a lace edging anyway. Tone down the colour and beef up the texture, is my theory.

The shawl knits up quickly. I suspect I’m about 1/3 of the way through the main body. Hopefully, I’ll have it done before I’m back to work this weekend. I’ve also got another lace shawl on the needles but that’s for another column.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

The shawl is lovely.the right project for that particular yarn if I do say so. I am felting yet another bag and dying your favourite yarn B&L just a simmerin as we speak. Colours are grey and lavender/pink. I cant wait til you get the lace going on that shawl. Hurry up woman. Forget that burgandy lace thing and get going on this one my patience isn't what it used to be!!!
Cheers and happy knitting!
Liz

 
At 5:27 PM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Your patience never was what your patience used to be. In fact, you never had any damn patience in the first place and what patience you do have, I taught you, which is just truly frightening on a cosmic scale.

And don't bother arguing with me Miss Burnt Hands because I can't wait for the yarn to cool enough to actually look at it...

 
At 10:51 AM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

blah blah blah.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home