Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Done down to the details


Details on the Trinity Stitch shawl, middle photo is the I-cord cast off rolled edge finish.


Done, done, done…finally, after much huffing and puffing and carrying on, the Trinity Stitch Shawl is done. And I’m a-liking it. One thing that was really nice is that I learned a new technique. It’s hard to photograph the final result but the cast off is an I-cord cast off. It makes a very soft, very nice rolled edge that looks a whole lot nicer than a regular bind off method. I really like it and will be incorporating that technique into a lot of items in the future.

I’d like to sit down and figure out what it cost in terms of material but alas, that’s not going to happen. I keep terrible records and the yarn was bought over several trips to the shop and I can’t remember if I used 8 balls or 10 by the time it was done. And I have no idea what the beads cost. They were dug out of the glass stash, which according to Karin in London means they are now free because I can’t remember what I paid for them originally.

This has to come to a grinding halt soonest because my intention is to eventually turn this into a business proposition at some point in the future. So, in keeping with the notion of getting myself half-assed organized, I’ve found a new use for the digital camera. I bought some yarn from Singer the other day and before it got tossed into the stash box, I took a photo of it. It’s so easy to upload the files from the camera to the computer that it’s really not a hardship. Then I could label the photo with how many balls I bought, price I paid for them, yardage, weight and fibre content. Probably not the most brilliant inventory management system in the world but if it works, it’s a step in the right direction. If nothing else, it saves me from having to figure out how to describe similar but different yarns in 25 words or less. I can still spot a picture on a contact sheet faster than figuring out how my brain was working on the day I labelled it.

So what next? Well, girls, I’m still on the shawl kick and I’m thinking I’m developing a lace making obsession. Liz and I were shopping on Monday and there was a real scene at Chapters. I found this book, very nice one, called A Gathering of Lace by Meg Swanson. There’s lots of knitting fodder in there I can assure you. I tried to get Liz to talk me out of the purchase because like all knitting dream books, it cost the bloody earth.

“Talk me out of buying this book.”

“It’s a really nice book, you know…”

“You’re not helping.”

I should know better than to ask Liz to talk me out of any fibre related purchase. It’s entirely her fault that I have 11.2 km of mohair in an refugee asylum hearing at my place. I saw the stuff on eBay and called her…”Talk me out of this Liz…" Who owns enough mohair to clad an apartment building of people in mohair scarves? That should give you some idea of her skill set in the “talk me out of this” department.

But back to the next knitting project…if I was very disciplined and terribly together, I’d spend a little while moping up some of the other almost finished projects. I have a pair of socks to finish and a sweater for Himself. Someone promise me if I ever mention knitting a sweater again for anyone that you’ll hit me in the head with a brick or something. I hate knitting sweaters. It’s such a commitment issue. I have about 5 inches of sweater to knit and I just can’t find the heart to pick up the needles and continue. Besides, if I finished the sweater, he’s have to find something new and marvellous to bitch about, like the fact you can’t find the living room floor for the yarn stash.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

3 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

that's right blame it all on the gimpy friend. I tried. really. but you have to understand, it really is a beautiful book. who am I to say that you can't have it. Life is way too short to deny yourself the chance to be literate.

 
At 9:39 AM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

What the hell were you doing up at 2:40 in the morning? That's my trick and I have a good excuse...I get paid to stay up all hours of the night.

 
At 8:13 PM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
The old floor issue again! My progress is at a standstill.
My MIL is in the ICU and probably not going to make it. I hate hospitals. Going in there takes me back 20 years and 800 miles to when my mom died. Opens old wounds.Arrgh.
Anyway congrats on the beautiful shawl, I never thought of beading. it adds such elegance.
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home