Sunday, May 22, 2005

Everything old is new again...


My new shawl in its original format

In response to Karin of London’s inquiry as to the inspiration for the new burgundy shawl, I was trying to figure out a way to do it without violating my ‘copyright sensibilities’. My instinctive reaction, as it would be for any experienced knitter I’m sure, is to whip open the book, point and say “Here, there’s the pattern."

Since after a while, all us read knitting patterns, particularly charts, as second nature. See the chart; visualize the work. It’s a language and a form of communication that only makes sense to knitters. It’s not even a case of ’copying the pattern’. It’s THE way we describe the pattern. And if Karin was sitting in my kitchen, that’s exactly what I’d do. I’d whip open my copy of Meg Swanson’s A Gathering of Lace to page 82 and she’d “Uh, huh, uh, huh” and then it would all be sorted.

But this isn’t my kitchen table. This is the internet and we all know some well-meaning lawyer, some where, would NOT interpret me posting a copy of the chart as my means of describing the pattern.

It’s always one of those screwball things with me because, let’s face it, there’s not much new in knitting. Every combination of knit, purl and yarn over has been done. There are no ‘new stitches’ and what’s left (and the fun part) is making the old new again.

Knitters aren’t inventing anything when they pick up their needles. They’re hauling out the past, dusting it down and re-interpreting it. We use new yarns. We interchange motifs with abandon. We recast the function of the form. But we don’t do anything ‘new’ with our sticks and strings. As Barb Telford has expressed many a time, there’s only so many damn ways you can make a sock, or a sweater, or a hat. In that sense, anatomy is destiny.

But patience be blessed, the designer of the shawl in Swanson’s got the idea from somewhere and lo and bloody behold, in a stroke of serendipity, I found it yesterday. It’s a Danish doily pattern and is NOT subject to copyright.

And without any further ado, here it is:

Cast on 8 stitches on double points:

Row 1: *YO, K1*
Row 3: *YO, K2*
Row 5: *YO, K3*
Row 7: *YO, K1, YO, K1, K2TOG*
Row 9: *YO, K1,YO, K2, K2TOG*
Row 11: *YO, K1, YO, K3, K2TOG*
Row 13: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K2, K2TOG*
Row 14: *K7, K2TOG*
Row 15: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K3, K2TOG*
Row 16: *K8, K2TOG*
Row 17: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K4, K2TOG*
Row 18: *K9, K2TOG*
Row 19: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K5, K2TOG*
Row 20: *K10, K2TOG*
Row 21: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K6, K2TOG*
Row 22: *K11, K2TOG*
Row 23: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K7, K2TOG*
Row 24: *K12, K2TOG*
Row 25: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K8, K2TOG*
Row 26: *K13, K2TOG*
Row 27: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K9, K2TOG*
Row 28: *K14, K2TOG*
Row 29: *YO, K1, YO, K2, YO, K10, K2TOG*
Row 30: *K15, K2TOG*
Row 32: *K2TOG, YO*
Row 33: K


If my scanner was up and running, I’d be able to post the charted version but I’m sure the rest of you are all equally handy with the graph paper and the coloured pencils. And there you have it, the model of my new shawl. I’m about a third of the way through it.

On the other shawl front, it’s time to start swatching and frigging with lace edgings. It’ll take me another month to get that sorted. In the meanwhile, I want to do some needle felting and make some samples for the demo at the Fibre Options show, coming up June 4th.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, May 22, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Cool! I was perfectly willing and able to go to the downtown library to look up the pattern, but it would not have been quite as satisfying to go 'uh huh, uh huh, ooooh yeah' in the enourmous new downtown branch, sitting there all alone, as the other patrons slowly back away. Of course, when I searched the online catalogue, I found that they didn't even have that book.
Have a good rest of the May two-four!

 
At 10:58 AM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Oh yeah...I forgot the part about start by casting on 8 stitches but I can't edit the column at work, so I have to wait until I get home. It starts with 8 stitches on double points; and there are 8 sections to the shawl.

 
At 2:29 AM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

girls you must check out stephanie the yarnharlot. She just finished an alpaca dental floss lace shawl that is to DIE for I am so in love with it, even I am tempted to knit lace.

 
At 2:30 AM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

happy vicky day weekend everyone

 
At 10:52 AM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

yeah, Kate, I got the casting on etc. from the link you also posted. On a totally different note, you guys should check out threadbared.com. I laughed my ass off. Well, not really, its still there. You get my drift. Seriously, check it out.

 
At 3:14 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

OH my gracious...that's is so funny. It's serious snarking...I love it

 
At 3:59 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

thyank god I wasn't drinking, or eating I know I would have chocked those girls are Way too funny.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home