Friday, May 06, 2005

Full circle and the rhythm of Time


The trinity stitch shawl edging

Happy belated Cinqo de Mayo for all you so inclined; TGIF for the rest of you working stiffs. Me, I’m enjoying a little vacance and pretending that this Trinity Stitch Shawl is not driving me batty. I’ve decided it was designed by Dante as a time passer for those stuck in the 4th circle of Hell, you know, the one for the avaricious and the prodigal, condemned to an Eternity of Useless Labour.

This morning, I was awoken in the wee early hours … oh, all bloody right, it was quarter of nine and half way to freaking noon but as the ‘Blogger, I reserve the right to edit details for dramatic and narrative effect. Again, with the story, I was awoken with the sudden realization of why the Trinity Stitch shawl has continued on into Eternity. I’m down to about 7 inches of edging to knit and try as I might last night, I could not get it done. My hands were cramping and I was starting to make mistakes. Liz listened to me say things like “Gosh” and “Gee Whiz” while we were in the midst of our nightly phone call, also known as the Permanent Convention of the Stitch n’ Bitch.

I can see the end in sight but can’t quite seem to get there. Life keeps intervening. Yesterday, Brian and I had to go to the lawyer’s office to update our wills and all that paper work. Settling Mother’s estate has been a reminder that ours might need a little tweaking to cope with changing fortunes of life. And while I was out, I might as well get a few groceries and thereby eliminate yet another episode of my favourite game, Making Dinner out of a cupboard of Nothing to Eat. You know that one, dinner for three made from a can of soup, four frozen peas, Worchester sauce and garlic that somehow looks and tastes exactly like meat loaf, and NO, I am not sharing that recipe, so don’t ask..

I know, excuses, excuses. Always with the bloody excuses. Bottom line is that ever-blessed shawl ain’t finished and I’m a-loosing patience with the process, not that I want to leave you with the impression that I’m ever patient about anything anywhere for any reason. But this morning, I seem to have found a whole new sense of calm about the entire matter, an almost Zen sense of detachment from it all.

My early morning thought, the one that awoke me, was the realization that this Sunday will be Mother’s Day. Readers for the last month or so will remember I started this shawl when I was doing the night shift by Mom’s bed during her last week in palliative care. At the time, the three in one/ one in three nature of the stitch fit the mood as my mother was preparing to slip off into the Eternal.

Today is Friday. I’ll finish the seven inches of knitting and the bit of finishing work today. Tomorrow, Saturday, it’ll be washed and blocked and drying so it’s ready to wear on Sunday. Sunday is Mother’s Day and the first one I’ve ever had without my Momma. My sister Kelly is coming up from Halifax and we’re going to go plant some flowers on Mom’s grave and now I have something to wrap around me, for what else is a shawl but a hug you can carry with you?

I think time for me to go blat now. Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, May 06, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Yes, I still remember my first Mother's Day without mine. Coming up to the third one now. Yes, do finish that shawl, and think of your mother hugging you while you wear it. That thing you said about the hug really clinched it for me - now I HAVE to make a shawl. What a nice sentiment.

I'll be back to read next week,

 
At 4:34 PM, May 06, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate, you sound alot like me! I am all the things you have in your bio! I also made a shawl that was a healing piece. It is a prayer shawl, It was just garter stitch. I mentally said the Lords prayer while knitting If you knew me you would probably be raising an eyebrow about now. I don't attend church, but that process kept me centered. Looking forward to seeing your finished shawl! It will warm you with memories. Deb

 
At 9:59 AM, May 07, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Another spinner....welcome aboard Deb.

I think there's a lot of us who aren't churchy but have our own sense of religion and spirituality. And yes, there's an incredible meditative state that comes from knitting, that is when we're not a-cussing the thing.

 
At 8:20 AM, May 10, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
So someone is reading my blog! How cool is that. I almost feel like I am just writing it for myself, I tend to say things that maybe I shouldn't. God forbid my DH ever reads it. Hah, that will happen when pig fly. So things about him are in there he will never know!
I love reading your blog, it makes me laugh.
Deb
http://dudleyspinner.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home