Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Is it just me?


It's never ending...

So far this week, I have knit 827 miles of lace edging for the oft-referenced Trinity Stitch shawl. By current calculations, I have a mere 10 253 miles left to go… You have to admit, that’s not bad for a shawl that’s only 30 inches deep from wide side to apex. But what regard does a knitting project have for the rules of the space/time continuum? None, I tell you. None. They are nasty little blighters in that regard.

Is it just me or does everyone suffer from this phenomenon? The first 9/10s of a project are relatively painless; the last 10% is like dental surgery without the fun bits to keep one amused.

Seriously, the edging is attached to the two short sides of the shawl. I knit from the top to the turn at the bottom in one day. I’m now on day two of knitting up the other side and I’m just half way done that bit. Do I knit slower as I get to the end of a project? One would think otherwise really. I’ve knit this pattern repeat so many times I no longer need to consult with the pattern. Like most laces, it’s easily broken down into 4 to 8 stitch blocks and once you’ve done them a few hundred times, you pretty much can figure out the details.

Or is it because my mind is already on the ‘next’ project? I’ve been eyeing the stash and puzzling out how to solve whatever little detail that’s niggling at my mind. You’d think this preoccupation with something else would make my knitting go faster, in that I’m not stopping to examine the stitches every second row.

I’m working on the theory that it’s actually alien influences and that the yarn stash is really a portal to another dimension and as projects near completion, they send out little signals to their off-world masters who need to dilate time in order to open a worm hole to the yarn stash universe.

No, seriously, I had my meds checked last week. Why do you ask?

5 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, May 04, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

You are showing great fortitude in not starting something new until the miles and miles of edging are done. Just yesterday, the hubby made a comment to the effect of 'do you ever finish anything?'. This was as I was swatching for something new (from the stash) after I had just purchased and started something on Monday, and still have another 3 projects, at least, plus socks, on the go. (Plus 47 other projects in the planning stages). And that's only the knitting. When I asked what he meant, he said he was merely making a little observation......with a rather large smirk on his face. I told him all knitters are like this - or do I just have an incredibly short attention span?

 
At 3:11 PM, May 04, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

Karin your husband is right. I have wondered about that myself waiting for a sweater that was for my birthday, christmas, aniversary.... I live in perputal fear of winning big on the lottery. I know she will go out and buy Louet, so she can have a bigger stash

 
At 10:32 AM, May 05, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

ahhh, well men just don't understand about the stash, now, do they? (except when used in that other way.......remember the '70's?) Of course Kate and I and every other knitter/spinner in the world would 'need' a bigger stash if we won the lottery. Just like my hubby would need more airplane/stamp paraphanelia - or an actual airplane if the lottery was large enough. All I say about my obsession is, at least the products of knitting (and sewing) are functional (eventually) as well as beautiful (mostly) and keep us happily entertained and engaged while we're at it. So there.

 
At 2:03 PM, May 05, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Yeah...what she said....

I wonder who at lunch today was telling me about his $1000 "want" list from the lead minature supplier? Any guesses?

 
At 3:16 PM, May 05, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

To the knitter/spinner circle. First, least our stash can fit into a suite case not the living room. Second, as to the eventuall functionality of said objects they have to be completed first, birthday, christmas, aniversary, y3000?
And third, as we say on the wargame forums our addiction keeps us out of bars and brothels. No money for anything else.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home