Friday, May 20, 2005

The other new shawl


The other new shawl


This is the other shawl that I’ve started. I think I’m about a third of the way through it. It’s round, and a very simple lace pattern. It’s going to be nice when it’s done.

It’s being made out of my stash of Newfoundland mohair. It’s a medium quality yarn but I got it dead cheap and it’s a decent yarn for testing out new projects. I can really see this done in silk yarn. I know…oh, la, la, silk, how chic-chic but depending on how the yardage works on this shawl, it might be manageable provided I can get a decent price on the yarn for starters. I’m working on chasing that down.

Liz took her first stab at needle felting. Of course, her thingie is about a zillion times better than mine. She’s also decided it’s completely useless but fun. Actually, it’s a quick embellishment technique.

And on the knitting front, the main part of the mohair bouclé shawl came off the needles last night. Now I have to swatch a lace edging for it and that will be another project done. Then I think I’m going to tackle some more lace projects. I’m really starting to like lace knitting.

In any event, things to do and people to annoy await me today. I’m off. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

The round shawl looks very intriguing. And lovely. Any chance of hinting at the pattern source? (or is it yours). I haven't done a ton of lace knitting, but do find it very addictive. It seems to go so fast. Maybe all the yo's and k2tog's? Not to mention slippig stitches and passing overs. There's just so much action happening with lace, on at least every other row. I think I've just talked myself into starting something new. Something lacy perhaps? Could be.

 
At 7:44 AM, May 21, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

It's from Meg Swanson's A Gathering of Lace and pretty much taken straight out of it. I'm doing the variation where one section is done in lace (yarn over, knit 2 together) and the other section is plain stocking stitch. It's hard to see in the pictures I have but it spirals to the right and looks like the cross section of a conch shell or something.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home