Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sign of the times


Start of the Odd Ball advertising campaign

Details, details, details...

When I started this ‘Blogging bit, I knew there was no way I’d be able to write a daily column. That’s 365 columns a year. My life doesn’t support daily anything. Even daily sleep is sometimes stretching it. So I made the commitment to myself of every second day. Surely to God I can bull**it my way through 180+ columns a year. After all, I am a professional communicator … Yeah well today, life happened and what the hell, I’ve got 45 minutes left before today is officially over. Stop whining and start typing, Kate…

My goodness but I find it ever so bloody annoying to have real life interfere with my fun and games. Yesterday was sleeping off the night shift except I had to get up at the unspeakable hour of noon to take Oneida to the orthodontist. Quelle surprise, she needs braces. Looks exactly like her momma with the dentition to prove it. When she was born, I took one look at her and told Brian to start saving for braces and the day has come.

Today I had work thingies to do. And all this being a real responsible employee and/or parent is so cutting into my play time and it is so starting to piss me off.

Latest project…learning to fake needle felting. Fortunately, it’s not a difficult art form to master. Here’s the first cracks at the new sign I hope to display at the needle felting demonstration I’m giving next week. I’m really working on methods for transferring the design from my head to the wool background so I can felt yarns to it. So far, it’s been a little dodgy. Tomorrow is going to be a real experimentation day when I drag out all my tool boxes and see if we can whip this thing into submission.

By the way, the scarlet red backdrop is a sweater I bought at the used clothing store. Last week, it suddenly dawns on the Odd Ball Dumb Ass that there is absolutely nothing in the rule book saying I have to personally knit every freaking stitch by hand. Can you imagine that…knitting it by hand so you can shrink it. I think not. Life is too short and I haven’t nearly enough oestrogen left for that foolishness. Go to the used clothing stores, buy 100% wool sweaters, felt them and cut them up for background pieces…taa daa…so much simpler. Sometimes, I almost amaze myself with my capacity to discover the patently obvious.

And yes, damn it, there will be beads and dangly bits and shiny things on it because my theory on this stuff is MORE is MORE. To hell with all this minimalist, make do with nothing, do everything with even less nothing. I want the shiny bits. I want my sparkles. And when I finally get three steps past the boundaries of good taste and refinement, I’ll add another 3 colours and more sparkles.

I’m in that kind of mood….and all you East Coast (Canada and the US) people out there, question for you: Was summer yesterday? Did I sleep through the entire season? What is with this freaking weather? My lungs are mildewing. I know they are.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading…and there, I’ve beat the deadline with 24 minutes to spare. Told you I was a professional...

3 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, May 28, 2005, Blogger Radona said...

You are too funny! So I am surfing through the blogs, not finding anythng too interesting and BAM!!! there you are! I lol when I read your blog. So thank you for sharing! From one old not so gray haired yet, tequila drinking, fluffy (NotFAT) knitter to another! I enjoyed your blog!
Radona

 
At 9:04 AM, May 28, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Kate, I love your logo! It looks great and I think it fits your personality - crazy!

 
At 2:50 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

radona--you should meet her in person!!!! My sides ache.
The first time I met Kate, I was shell shocked.Actually that story will be next on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home