Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Actually, I'm still working with wool...


The new thing

Egads, the weekend approaches and I’m almost to a full state of confusion over the needle felting. I’m going like a son of a gun on the needle felting and it’s a right proper…sorry Karin, it’s a total drag and you’d never want to even start it.

Okay, the technique has been improved. You don’t have to trace it onto the fabric with a pen. You can felt directly from the stencil. Yay…time saver and gets rid of all that pain in the arse of trying to get the lines on it.

I’m working on a secret squirrel project right now. I can’t divulge the details completely because it’s a sur-prise for the recipient and I suspect he occasionally reads this blog. But here’s a sneak peek at the start of it all.

On other fronts, I’m now the happy owner of yet more computer memory. It’s a gig…how much is a gig? It’s about $120 worth and hells bells, it wants to be making that damn computer work at something above the speed of molasses in January. The Odd Ball, she’s a-becoming frustrated and that would NOT be a good thing. Honest to Pete, I’ll be glad when this returns to being a knitting blog and stops being a technology blog. It’s becoming more retarded by the day, I think.

The Odd Ball IT Technical Support Division thinks he’s resolved the problem and that I should be all right with this latest upgrade. The problem was blah blah blah blah…snore….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..Next step, learning how to make buttons and all that jazz on this blog. It’ll happen. I’m incredibly stubborn (translation: too stupid to quit).

Trish, at Singers, thinks she’s got a line on a used knitting machine for me. Isn’t that grand that there is yet more technology for me to be overwhelmed by and become totally pissed off with. I'm sure the long suffering hubby will be grateful of the break. In the meanwhile, I’ve still got the burgundy shawl on the needles and I’ve got a good start on the lace edging for the mohair shawl. Updates coming in the near future but really, there isn’t much to show right now. It pretty much looks exactly like it did the last time, only bigger.

But right now, it’s nap time… long night shift and all. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

14 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
your techno rant was hilarious. My scanner is at the moment a large boat anchor. It takes up space on the shelf above the first computer ever made. (not quite, but you get my drift) I have two within a chair's spin of each other. When #1 locks up, I disconnect and fire up #2. It seems to be the only way I can resist taking them out and using them for target practice with a shotgun.
The poncho does actually look pretty good! Thanks! The beads add enough weight that it doesn't stick out but shapes to the body. The fabric is quite thick, about 1/8" at least. Thanks for giving me the bead idea. I really did steal(borrow) it from your trinity stitch shawl. I believe you are ready to be the needle felting maven at your festival!
Deb

 
At 3:43 PM, June 01, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

Dear Odd ball
I read your comment concerning me handing over 100 dollar bills. I would follow that advice if I was not in the process of arranging for an 20 foot by 20 foot by 20 foot high extension to the house to store your wool. Would the secret project be a sweater?

 
At 5:47 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I have only a few words to say about technology -- It's a bitch! I think technology passed me by and I'm just trying to tread water to stay a float. I might be able to help you with the button thingy when you're ready.

 
At 8:08 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

hee hee hee I am back!!!!
I love the cable guys. They totally rock. I love the knotwork. Boy does it look like a great prezzy for your best friend in the world on her birthday/christmas/labourday/mothersday, anyday........

 
At 8:11 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

dear hubby/it department. don't hold your breath on the sweater, I think it may be something else. Besides, she has only had that particular sweater on the needles for les than a year. I have been knitting the same sweater since before I got pregnant the first time. WAY before, as a matter of fact it was pre Briggs and little mill fire.

 
At 10:09 PM, June 01, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Husband sweaters on the needle for years and years? Oh now I know yet again why I like you guys so much. Makes me feel way less guilty. I've actually finished many sweaters for the guy, but none in the last, oh, 5'ish years, I think. And the current one, is, well, on the needles. And has been for a while. First the yarn (alpaca) had to ferment and age while I decided what to do. Then, when I decided to create my own design, and made it an aran (but with sport weight, on 3.25's....I'm insane)there was much scribbling on paper, some (not enough) swatching, and much nervousness. Now's I'm terrified that I don't have enough yarn, and its only available from some guy in Montreal, who doesn't even have a website, and will likely laugh, mockingly, in French, when I ask for more of the same dye lot. Sigh. Looks like a few years will need to go by and then I can recreate it as a shawl or vest (for me, of course). Which will have cost nothing, per the rules, since it will have been made from yarn in the stash.

BTW - really nice looking needle felting. I'm still tempted.

 
At 10:19 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

hell I still have the sweater and the yarn, ditched the husband.

 
At 10:25 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

and about the temptation for needle felting, just do it, don't give yourself the headache of thinking up reasons why you shouldn't or can't. It is a stash buster waiting to happen. Finally a way to really use up all those bits of this and that. (Of course you will need to buy the proper tools, some roving, vodka/and or gin......)
Evil? Me? never

 
At 11:43 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Stash buster my ass....don't listen to that woman...my stash has increased along with her wallet because I now need roving. And she wants me to learn to spin...

Follow your instinct Karin and stay away from the felting needles.

 
At 10:41 AM, June 02, 2005, Anonymous Oddball IT department said...

From Oddball IT department
In light of the abuse of bandwidth and increasing tech support costs (requests for 100 bills) the firewall will be reinstated. This is to prevent the conspiracy of wool going any further.

 
At 4:02 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
I will have a Molsons please. LOL
Now a yurt would be a stash buster! A beautiful colorful yurt with needle felted celtic knotwork all around the door. Nothing like mixing cultures, eh?
Deb

 
At 5:22 PM, June 02, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

You're right, Kate, that Lizzie is quite the little enabler! However, Liz, I'm going to stay away from the needle felting thing, for now, anyway. For several reasons.....first being, the money required for tools, not to mention more gin. And heaven knows where I can find roving in this town, where its hard enough to find wool. Then, of course, the end of school is coming up and I 'traditionally' make something for each teacher.....usually a cross stitch bookmark. Or knitted. But I made a knitted tree ornament (totally cool) for The Christmas Gift, so cross stitch it shall be. And finally, my right wrist is giving me problems....usually at 4 a.m. when I'm trying to sleep. I think a good summer project will be to try to learn continental. Any pointers for the carpal tunnel?/continental?

 
At 6:04 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Karin, I'm a big fan of continental knitting for exactly that reason...carpal tunnel syndrome. In my case, I'm trying to prevent it. I haven't exactly mastered it yet and I can't do it on really small guages with ease yet but I usually keep a project on the back burner that's being knit that way JUST to give my hands a rest.

 
At 2:27 AM, June 03, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

I would love to felt a yurt. What a cool summer project. I wonder if I could get a grant....And we could put shiny beads on it too

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home