Sunday, June 05, 2005

A fantastic Fibre Festival


Village of Gagetown from the river approach

First off, the Fibre Option 05 festival was an incredible success. Trish, Diane, Liz and I lit out in the early hours for the Village of Gagetown. Trish was driving and picking everyone up. It’s been such a long time since I’ve done a group activity with mature responsible adults, I hardly knew how to behave. One of my pet freak-outs in life is having to wait for disorganized people who need to reacquainted with the concept “punctuality”. I had all my stuff sitting out on the step when, right on time, Trish arrived. We loaded up in under 5 minutes and headed for Liz’s. Liz is always easy because she is always ready and waiting when someone is giving her a drive and sure enough, we drive up, her dye pots etc are on the front step and in under five minutes we’re off to Diane’s. Diane, in keeping with the theme, is all packed and ready to go. Zero stress getting on the road…if that doesn’t bode for a good day out, I don’t know what does.
The Village of Gagetown is a very small community on the Saint John River and is one of the prettiest small towns in all of Canada. It’s also home to a large number of established artisans, including the world famous Loomcrofter’s Studio, renowned internationally for its tartan design and weaving. Woodsmoke Woolworks and the ever energetic Barb Telford organized the event on the front lawn of Grimross Crafts.



The Odd Ball demonstrates needle felting


Now, to be honest, we set out with pretty low expectations of the festival. First off, it’s the first year for it and we all know that the first year of anything is a lot about growing pains. Exhibitors haven’t had a chance to schedule it into their season. People aren’t aware of it and so there aren’t a lot of visitors -- the usual stuff prevails. This year, my expectations where even lower because we had rotten weather for the entire month of May. We’ve had cold and rain every weekend for the past six weeks, and this was the first sunny, warm weekend we’ve seen in forever. I fully expected every backyard farmer in the county to be out feeding the newly hatched mosquito populations in the privacy of their own yards. My ambition for the day was to hang out with the girls and chat…

Well, couldn’t have been more wrong. I don’t think I spent more than 15 minutes all day ‘chatting’. I was teaching; Liz was teaching; Trish was teaching. There was a constant stream of traffic in our canopy. I sold a couple of needle felting kits and there was a huge amount of interest in the workshops we’re looking at offering in the fall at the Singer store.

Actually, I didn’t even have a lot of time to wander around and get pictures. There was just one person after another in the tent, listening to my spiel on needle felting. Poor Diane, she was sitting in there as well, looking after the “shop” side of things and if she heard the intro once, she heard it 50 times. I’m sure she must have heard it in her sleep last night.



Hell, yes, let's do it again next year...

In spite of liberal and early application of sunscreen, our girl Liz managed a sunburn on her shoulders. We were all wiped from the heat when we packed up at 5 pm and headed home.
Of course, nothing like this is ever complete without the old ‘after-action’ report, as we used to call it in the military… the conflab when everyone compares their list of what went right, what could be improved upon, what we could make better. Somehow, I don’t recall the Army providing Blue Raspberry Martinis to help with the process but we have so much more style and finesse.

Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

and guess what, the sunburn doesn't hurt as much as it should. I think it may be all for show!
The kool aid yarn is making me hungry.

 
At 3:43 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I am so glad the Fibre Festival was successful. I only wish I could have attended. Ohhhh.... and the martinis....that's why I really wish I could have been there!

 
At 6:40 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Bravo! good show! Glad it all went so well and you had a good day for it.Deb

 
At 9:19 PM, June 05, 2005, Anonymous Stephanie said...

There was a fibre festival in the Maritimes????? and I missed it???? Argh!!!!!!

 
At 11:03 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

So...where "down home" are you from, Stephanie? We'll be sending you an invite for next year's festival.

 
At 3:54 AM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Radona said...

Sounds like a good time! I wish I could attend one! Fibers, aaaah!

 
At 8:22 AM, June 08, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

don't you worry steph, we won't forget younext year!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home