Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Finally, something..errrrrrrr... half-done...


Burgundy shawl off the needles

Edge detail


Yeah, I know I was supposed to ‘Blog yesterday. Yesterday was the 2nd day of the every 2nd day rule but … (rummaging through the big old bag of Really Good Excuses to find)….

1. The Cat Died… uh, no, it’s still loitering on every horizontal surface of the house, shedding massive quantities of white fur. Can someone please explain to me how a cat that weighs under 10 lbs is capable of producing 90 lbs of fluff per week? I really think the National Science Research Council needs to stop pissing around with questions on global climate change and hardware for space missions and start producing some basic research for the good of all Canadians.

2. I Had To Work… nice thought but it’s a heat wave which makes the CommCentre officially a mental health hazard because TRUST ME, everyone is cranky and when Fredericton gets cranky, it calls the police dept, en masse, to crank. I’m avoiding the place like it was a plague-house myself.

3. It Was Too Hot…. Oh, Suck IT UP Princess…even I don’t believe that one.

Okay, apparently, I can’t come up with a good excuse as to why I didn’t write the ‘Blog yesterday so the truth will have to suffice. Liz and I went scoping out a new knitting machine. Lynn Laagland of Yarn Havens, who I met at the Gagetown Fibre Festival has a nice little business repairing and selling knitting machines. She also carries a lot of used ones on consignment. She called me last week for something unrelated and in the course of conversation, I told her I’d bought a new to me knitting machine and promptly went into the multitude of reasons of why it wasn’t what I was looking for. And by happenstance, she just received two knitting machines on consignment. I feel a road trip coming on. Yesterday, Liz, Oneida and I gear up and head for the wilds of Hanwell.

The machine is pretty. It likes me. And it does stuff more than just knitting plain cloth. Liz wants a knitting machine like what I’ve got because she wants to knit fabric for felting and that's all she wants to do. Me, I’m a knitter and damn it, I want to knit. I did up some yardage the other day for felting and as soon as I finished, it was "okies, what's next?" The problem with the machine I bought is there is no NEXT. This is it, baby. End of the line. What you see is what you get. I want to work with multiple colours and textures and lace and construct garments … and… and… you’re getting the drift here, aren’t you?

The trip back was interesting. I hadn’t started the car up when I sprung the comment Liz has come to dread, “Talk me out of this, will ya?”

In truth, we gave it a valiant effort. But for every reason “why not” we came up with, we uncovered two “go for it”s. Even more entertaining was getting home to Brian to tell him that I’d found a knitting machine I wanted way more than the knitting machine I bought two weeks ago. We went through all the arguments to justify this purchase - more robust, more versatile, ribber, blah, blah, blah. He had but one question: "Does the damn thing make sweaters?"

"Yes, dear, it makes sweaters. The other one doesn’t make sweaters because the bed is too small. It doesn't have enough needles.”

"So this new one, it has enough needles to make a sweater?"

"Yes, it has enough needles."

"You sure it has enough needles?"

"Yes. Definitely."

“You need to buy the new one then. What's for supper?”

There, that’s settled. I’m going to buy another knitting machine.

On the hand knitting front, I finally got the burgundy shawl off the needles. It needs blocking but given the general humidity this week, that would be an utter waste of time. It would take forever to dry. I can’t decide if it’s big enough until I’ve blocked it, so the edging might be relegated to a detail if I have to dig the crochet hook. I’ll bead it once I’ve figured out if it’s big enough.

That’s the news from my place. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, June 28, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

In the intrests of fair play in the house, seeing you will be getting a new machine and the old one is not 2 weeks old. I think I should get a new Army. The current one does not do what I want it to do. The new one would be able to take on my Byzantine one and be very colourfull. Just ask Liz about the pictures I showed her.

 
At 5:34 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Listen Bud, consider yourself fortunate that supper isn't Gin & Tonics all round.

 
At 8:59 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

I dug out my little bitty knitting machine circ 1957 and am playing with it. It does knit, but just barely. My other machine is upstairs and here it really is too hot. 100 in Salina, which is north of me. So being on the second floor with no ac sounds killer.
I found a pattern in the booklet to make socks. Interested?
Deb

 
At 9:32 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

I'm very interested in a machine sock pattern. I need to break this puppy in.

 
At 5:02 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
I will blog about it soon, it is so freakin hot here, the computer room is does not have ac. So I will wait until the sun goes down. Blazing on the prairie!
Deb

 
At 6:09 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

No rush, Deb, the new baby doesn't come home until next week. I work tomorrow for the next 4 so I didn't see any sense of anyone putting a rush on, particularly in this weather!!!

 
At 12:46 PM, July 02, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

The pictures were definately colorful, and in the interests of fair play supper was delicious and very lacking in G&T,why kate and I had to venture forth and find our own g&t farther afield.oh the horrors...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home