Thursday, June 09, 2005

June's List of Impossible Dreams...


The Portal to the 9th dimension... soon to be organized

The Odd Ball List of Things to Do for the month of June…

1. Find a solution to global warming;
2. Lose 20 lbs;
3. Complete the burgundy mohair shawl;
4. Organize my brain and/or life and/or work spaces.

Once a month, I give myself this little vicarious thrill by coming up with a list of things I’m going to accomplish in the next set period of time. I mostly do it as my contribution to amuse myself and my friends. Every month, the list varies in detail but the general theme remains the same. I have a project to complete and I need to get organized. Well, I also need to dump about 50 lbs off my ass but we can all exercise a little patienc in that there department.


And for the most part, I do manage to get something sorted out. Last month, it was learning the basics of needle felting. It was a fairly modest assignment all in all: stab the wool, not your fingers. Repeat.


And, like clockwork, there’s that overwhelming notion that I really – no, I’m serious this time – really need to get organized. Liz and I suffer from the common affliction that we’re both clutter queens. My house is where unloved, rejected yarns come to die. Unfortunately, they bring all their little unloved friends along – dust bunnies, lint, cobwebs, scraps of fabric, crewel stitch embroidery projects left uncompleted 30 years ago…


The second issue is time management. Like everyone else, I have a mere 24 hours in a day. I work fulltime outside the home. I’m a mom, wife and lousy housekeeper with an elderly parent and a young child who comes complete with dance lessons and Guide meetings. And like a lot of women, I have a habit of dealing myself to the bottom of the deck. I choose to make the needs, or more specifically, the wants of everyone in the world a priority over mine. Now I’m not talking about the legitmate needs of family members and honest friends. I’m talking about those people who have a compulsive need to nit pick and be incessantly negative. I think, by now, I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to take myself and my art seriously. And the next couple of years is about my transition from hobbyist to professional.

I’m finally getting my head around the fact that I need to take a business-like approach to what I’m doing. Liz and I are both struggling, in some respects, with the same issues as we try to adapt our artistic sensibilities to a more business level footing. We’re both very competent craftspersons. We know our trade very well. It’s about translating it into a commercial context and building our respoective businesses. And all the sudden, it's a crash course in marketing, branding, image making, suppliers, retail realities, business plans, strategic plans, operational plans, planned plans versus the unplanned ones and you're getting the drift here, aren't you?


Last weekend was part of that process. We got a lot of exposure at the Village of Gagetown’s Fibre Options 05 festival. Happily, I’ve got some positive feedback from our efforts. Another group invited me to do a demonstration at their fall meeting, which I’m very excited over.


Knitting…ohhh, yeah…that wretched sport…I’m working on the burgundy shawl again, provided I still remember how to operate a set of needles. I’ve been so wrapped up in the needle felting, I haven’t worked on it for what seems like ages.


In any event, it’s all in good fun. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

12 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I'm sure you will remember how to play with sharp pointy sticks once you get them into your hands! It is quite overwhelming working, raising a family,knitting, and trying to start a business, etc. I would love to open an online yarn shop; however, with working 40 hours a week as a RN, I can never find time to begin the process. I know you will be successful!

 
At 11:06 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Let me rephrase the last sentence of my previous comment. You are already successful, and I know you will be successful as a professional craftsperson. That's what I meant to say. By golly, Miss Molly, I got it right this time!

 
At 11:10 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Well, that's how I took it anyway...

I figure worst case scenario, Liz and I will start a business called "Don't try this at home" ...

 
At 11:53 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

zactly.

 
At 11:56 PM, June 09, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

is that really your yarn? I like the orange fuzzy stuff. what is the plan for the whitish one that looks textured? OMG listen to me , like I don't have an issue of my own with stash busting!!!!!
Liz

 
At 12:38 AM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Yes, it's really my yarn...what you thinking? I performed a break and enter on the neighbour's house to take pictures of her freaking stash??? The orange is that Divine madness that I had to have because it looks like an orange-cicle...you know the stuff Barb uses to make teddy bears. And the white..well the more whitish one is one of those pipecleaner yarns...it's shawl fodder some day. The off white/cream one is actually pale yellow and it's that stuff you hate with a passion fuzzy bit stuff.

 
At 2:44 AM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
I am at about the same place. I lost all momentum for organization. I am knitting and spinning, and dying like a fiend, but the organization has lost steam. I have bins and bins of wool to list and sell. Some of that is happening. Yarn to weigh and label, and no motivation to do anything but knit. Ahh well. Could be that it is 85 and 90% humidity, with whopping thunderstorms every night, can anyone say tornado? They are popping up here in Kansas like, well tornados!
Deb

 
At 8:41 AM, June 10, 2005, Anonymous the Hubby said...

I notice there is not a red and white sweater on the list of impossible things. Thats okay next time you complain that the sweater you knitted me 15 years ago is ratty and has to go. I will just say I would dear, but I am waiting for a replacement.

 
At 2:58 PM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

It's okay honey...I just bought a knitting machine today.

 
At 7:47 PM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

You bought a knitting machine? Tell me more. I do love the picture of your stash. I need to get a wide angle lense to take a picture of mine! (My stash, not my ass!)

 
At 8:42 PM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate
the knitting machine will teach you a whole new vocabulary of descriptive adjectives. The Prolific Knitting Machine is a good book for how to use the machine to the best advantage. Can't remember the author's name.
Deb

 
At 9:42 PM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

I am definately into the machine knitting. it is definately the way to go for doing bags and yardage fer felted stuff. as a matter of fact i have the bags I knit today in the washer right now,

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home