Saturday, June 25, 2005

Spinning my wheels


A very cranky sheep...

After a few years of this, the Bestest Friend Ever, aka Liz, has become accustomed to my bi-monthly panic attacks. She listens on the phone while I rant,rave, belly-ache, panic, curse and alternatively plan for the future – I mean the future where I’m 23 years old again, weight 130 lbs and married some billionaire with hell of a heart condition --that future. Our girl Liz takes it all in stride. She murmers ‘uhhhhhhhhh-huh’ and ‘mmmmmmmmm’ and ‘well, yes…’ at appropriate times. And while I know she’s actually doing her nails, cleaning the fridge and mopping the floors, the fact that I can hear her breathing on the other end of the line while I’m having my minor nut-fit means I’m not talking to myself. And yes, dammit, it makes a difference. Talking to myself is just plain crazy. Ranting like a lunatic with someone studiously ignoring you is called venting and is possibly a form of mental health therapy.

Yesterday was one of those days. I’ve had a very non-productive month. I’ve feel like I’ve accomplished nothing. The biggest problem is I’ve had my days off on the weekends and that means my lovely family is underfoot…I mean, showering me with their love. I get very edgy and out of sorts when I don’t get anything done. And after an entire month of dealing with my darlings instead of my ‘to do list", I’m getting cranky. Very cranky. Hissy even.

I’ve got five days left to the month of June and I’m no closer to seeing the end of the burgundy lace shawl than I was on the 15th. Well, actually, I’ve finished the main body of it, I think. The lace edging needs to be added but that should go fairly smoothly. The felting fiascos have only served to exacerbate my sense of nothing’s working and the knitting machine….well, let’s discuss the knitting machine.

My machine is the Singer LK100 – bottom of the bottom of the line of the hobby machines. I knew when I bought it that an upgrade is in my future. This one is not going to do enough to keep me happy. I bought it for two reasons: one, to find out if I liked machine knitting and two, to learn the basics. If I were knitting just for my own happiness, I’d probably never go the knitting machine route. There is a sense of rhythm and satisfaction that comes from hand knitting. But as soon as commercial considerations come into play, it’s hard to walk away from the knitting machine. Lynn Laagland from Yarn Haven was telling me the other day that she can knit a pair of socks in 13 minutes. Beats my 4 days all to hell. In any event, I was talking with Lynn on the phone yesterday and she tells me she has a new used machine in the shop. It’s got a ribber. It’s more than twice the size of what I’ve got currently. It’s probably coming home with me shortly but I need to kick the bank account a couple of times.

So far, I’ve expended a fair amount of cash on this knitting stuff. It’s time to think about getting some of it back. Right now, I’m not overly concerned. I had the money put aside and I knew there would be a cost to make the transition from hobbyist to professional. My only consideration at this time is to qualify for juried artisan status with the New Brunswick Crafts Council in their fall jurying session. That’s why I’ve been caught up in a lot of experimentation. I need five items that will pass muster in my mind as acceptable professional standards. So far, I have exactly none – hence the seed of yesterday’s panic attack. September is not very far away and the list of things to accomplish suddenly seems overwhelming, particularly when I work in the fact that I’ll lose time to family holidays and, and, and… I futz too much. In any event, it’s time to start looking at some area retail avenues for the fall.

In any event, there’s plenty of time left to panic before fall. I’ll talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, June 25, 2005, Blogger Dollar Pixel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:31 PM, June 25, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

the sheep looks more like it is possessed than cranky.but hey,ilook that way sometimes!

 
At 11:22 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

It's the heat. NO, it's the humidity. No really, it's both.

 
At 11:23 AM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

And I would have never ever ever mentioned that yes, sometimes you do look that way ... just because I've been camping with you and know these things doesn't mean I have to share with the world.

 
At 7:55 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate you will get it together! I need a swift kick in the rear to get going. Have no motivation. Dye pots are sitting empty, the spinning is all I seem to get done.. and knitting.
Tomorrow says Scarlet, I will think about it tomorrow.
Deb

 
At 11:07 PM, June 27, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

I am with ya Deb. Kate and I have as we say down here f****d the dog all day. Well not so true, I trained a new summer student this morning, and we looked at equipment this afternoon, but then we pubbed. Pubbing is truly what you should do when the temperature in your living room is 82 degrees.
Liz

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home