Tuesday, June 07, 2005

This week's shameless plug...


Worth the money...


Well known fact is that I have this retarded addiction to knitting columns and knitting blogs and knitting books and … yes, knitting magazines.

Usually, I’m sadly disappointed by the offerings. Sigh…there seems to be this notion amongst many editorial types that women who knit do not possess eyeballs or brains or anything resembling good taste. Or that ‘learning to knit’ means stupid projects, which I don’t think should be the case. And 9 times out of 10, I end up kicking myself for having bought the book/magazine because what I gleaned out of it wasn't worth killing a tree for, let alone plunking down some of the old hard-earned cash.

But every once in a while, something comes out of the yarn bin that’s just worth talking about and this issue of InKnitters Magazine certainly qualifies as ‘worth talking about’. I’ve never read it before but after looking at the spring 2005 issue, I’m considering a subscription. It’s a quarterly publication which is usually a good sign. Editorial staff have the time to put thought into their articles and in this issue, it certainly shows. The articles are intelligent, well written and informative. In this issue, I’ve enjoyed technical articles on different cast on methods. There’s an article on sweater design guidelines. There’s machine knitting, hand knitting but I think the most useful is the discussion on design. Where do people get their ideas? As Liz would put it, how do you take it for a walk?

The technical ‘how to’ articles are about the best I’ve seen ever in any subject anywhere. There’s an article on how to knit with beads, beaded jewellery and the like. There are 42 colour photographs illustrating the technique. Forty-two!!! Note to Diana, the Dysfunktional Knitter, if you can’t figure out how to knit with beads with this article, for-get it girl, it’s not meant to be.


I’m a huge fan of preserving our knitting and textile heritage, so I really enjoyed the article on traditional Peruvian knitting. If you’re a person who likes patterns with your knitting mags, they’ve got that too. They’ve got the classic, the timeless, the trendy and the ‘oh my sweet bejesus, who would be caught dead in that?’ -- in short, something for everyone. You a textile geek? Excellent article on the how’s and why’s and whatnots of yarn pilling, how to chose yarns for pill resistance, how to test for pill resistance. And we haven't covered the half of it.

To wrap it up, the magazine is InKnitters Magazine: A Resource for Independent Knitters. It’s published by Fiber Circle Publishing in Farmersville Texas. It retails for $6.99 US or $9.50 here in Canada. It’s worth it all…it’s worth your cash to buy it; it’s worth your time reading it and it’s worth the shelf space to store it.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, June 07, 2005, Anonymous Karin said...

Oh I agree so wholeheartedly about InKinitters! I bought that issue plus one other - the fall 2004, I think. Its a tad difficult to find around here. I happened upon the first one at Walmart, and lurked around there and Chapters looking for subsequent issues. I found the current issue, which you also have, at Walmart as well. Go figure. I had heard that their past designs are hideous, and looking them up on the website proved to be true. But like you said, the more current issues have designs that range from gorgeous to simple yet practical to totally hideous. Not a bad deal when you add all the wonderful columns.

Sounds like your fibre weekend was a success. Congrats! And how you managed to teach a craft that you only just learned, well, hat's off to you, lady!

We finally have summer here in southwestern Ontario as well - or, stinkin' hot weather as its more popularly called. Still refusing to turn the geriatric a/c on. May have to give it up soon.

 
At 4:46 PM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

I know...the utter cheek of it all... well, I'm expert at faking sincerity.

 
At 6:48 PM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Thanks for the review of InKnitters. I haven't seen a publication around here, but I'm definitely going to be in search for it. I will give you a review on the two books I bought as soon as I sit down and really go through them (sometime this week). Toodles...

 
At 4:04 PM, June 16, 2005, Blogger Nicola said...

Coming in late here, but I just had to agree with you. This is the only knitting magazine I have a subscription for.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home