Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Baby steps, baby steps.


Step 1: the colour changes

Short post today because technically, I'm sleeping. I'm in between night shifts and this is just the mid-nap break.

Well, there ya go... 500 g of lace weight spun Bombyx silk and a package of Gaywool Dye later, and see what you got -- purpleness. Very purpleness. Very subtle shaded purpleness that flirts with the very concept that was in my brain all along. It's tone on tone violet/amythest. And it's the first 'big girl' dyeing project of yours truly. And, I'll confess, I'm pretty damn impressed with it.

I was originally a bit worried (oh all right, I was bloody panicked -- I can't slide nothing past you lot) because the silk lost some of its sheen after the dye bath. I was hoping (praying) it was just that the threads were not smooth and aligned anymore. Sure enough, after winding a couple of the skeins into balls, all is good again. Like who in her right mind picks $80 worth of silk yarn for her first real dying project?

Eventual destination is ... oh, how did you guess shawl? You know, you're right but I so hate being that predictable. But in the meanwhile, I'm going to bang away at the Faux Russian stole a while longer. I'm nearly finished the second repeat (of five) and am just finishing up the first ball of wool. I've got another 2 of the same dye lot in the stash so there's that instant bit of relief knowing I didn't miscalculate and I do have enough to finish it off.

Anyway, it's nap time. Talk at you'se all laters; thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

You are definitely a brave ol' soul to dye silk as your first project. It looks beautiful. I haven't played in the dye yet, but I am definitely getting very tempted. As I sit and sip on my frozen orange dream (made with lots of rum), I want to dye something a light orange color. Is it normal to want to dye yarn the color of your mixed drink?

 
At 2:45 AM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Oh...I have visions of a series...Clamato red yarn for the Ceasars, honey whiskey yarns, cherry brandy, that really repulsive "looks like Scope" Creme de Menthe green and the florescent yellow of Galliano...Diana, when you come to New Brunswick, we'll drag you down to London Wul-Farms. And then our sweaters can match our drinks and we'll all be just too cool for words.

Or too drunk to care?

 
At 12:38 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Probably too drunk to care!

Anyhoo, I have the hat pattern for the hat that my sister knitted for me. (The one pictured on my blog.) Let me know your email address or home address and I'll send the pattern to you. My email is Frenzzee@hotmail.com.

 
At 5:54 PM, July 28, 2005, Anonymous monkeemaven said...

What a gorgeous shade of purple!

(you're putting sinister ideas into my head. take them back, take them back!)

 
At 3:56 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

pretty nice stuff, what happened to the I'll try it on B&L first????
I think you should consider a mohito green and a cosmopolitan pink series, oh and the ever lovin combo that is sex with Jay. you could start a trend!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home