Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Road Trip...


Home, Sweet, Home


Yesterday I was scheduled to pick up little Miss Oneida from Girl Guide Camp. The camp is out in Harvey, NB, which quite coincidentally is about 3 minutes up the road from the one and only Briggs & Little Woolen Mills Ltd. It's the oldest woolen mill in Canada, having been established in 1857, a decade before Canada became a nation. It's been burnt to the ground and rebuilt 4 times. In these parts, it's not a manufacturer - it's an institution.


Liz, grab your purse, it’s a road trip.


We were a bit late in the day getting away because Liz had a craft council meeting. Contrary to what I reported last week, the Rothesay Fine Craft show was not last weekend but is actually this weekend coming… more on that later but my separation anxiety was entirely self-inflicted and for naught. In any event, back to the story… Harvey is a small village about 45 minutes west of Fredericton. Liz’s meeting lasted until 12:30. We had to pick up the Princess and company at 2 pm. Doing the math, it’s not a lot of time in the shop. It’s okay, we still managed to blow some money.



The stash additions


For the record, I love Briggs & Little wool yarns. It’s not some sappy, softy, little whoosy, prissy Merino that falls apart while you look at it. This is a yarn that can take what life passes out. It sneers at the forces that turns other yarns to rags. This is a yarn as hardy and rugged as the people of New Brunswick. A pair of socks made from B&L is a lifetime procurement. Sweaters from B&L do not wear out -- they’re inherited. And for those who dislike the ‘hand’ of it when you’re in the yarn shop huffing it, wash it. That roughness disappears with the first wash. I frequently wash it before I knit it up. And since it comes in about 8 weights and 40 colours in each, there’s not lack of what you can do with the stuff. Next trip, we’ll get some shots of inside the shop.

I also managed to score the last ball winder that they had on the shelf. It’s so much better to have one here than having to borrow one from Trish. Finally, the 4 skeins or 1500 meters of the single ply (in mulberry) is slated to be a shawl. I haven’t decided which pattern yet but I’ll come up with something.


B&L singles...100% wool, 100% pure yummy goodness.


Oh yeah, the Rothesay Fine Craft show is this weekend coming -- July 9 & 10 in Rothesay, NB, just outside Saint John. This OddBall is slated to demonstrate needle felting on Saturday. I’m looking forward to it. Now I have to come up with a piece to do. That’s today’s project. I have my machine knitting lessons on Wednesday with Lynn Laagland. My goodness, so many things, so little time. Oh well, it’s all fodder for the Blog.

In any event, that was the view from here. Talk at you’se laters; thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, July 05, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

new 100 dollar hat, new containers for wool, new knitting machine, New wool, new spinner. New sweater???

 
At 5:29 PM, July 05, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

In this weather?????

 
At 8:51 AM, July 06, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

The morning bike ride to work is cool and a jacket is to warm.

 
At 8:29 PM, July 06, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I am in love with your new yarn acquisitions. I love knitting with merino, and I'm sooo jealous that I could not go along with you'se. I guess I'll hop over to Liz's blog to see if she posted pictures of any new yarns.

 
At 11:17 PM, July 07, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

no new yarns, now I have guilt. I have been super busy and unable to even blog. I will get right on that. now even

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home