Sunday, July 10, 2005

Rothesay Craft Festival


The future potters of New Brunswick.


As promised, yesterday was spent at the Rothesay Fine Craft Festival in, oddly enough, Rothesay, NB. Rothesay, you have to understand, is one of the tonier districts of New Brunswick. It’s a suburb of Saint John, built specifically for people who need to escape from urban industrial. It houses the only private prep school in the province and the inhabitants tend to be a tad on the chi-chi side, when they’re not out and out psycho-nut jobs. Excuse me, these people have enough money to properly qualify as ’eccentric’. The rest of us would be nut-jobs. Overall, I think ’posh’ would be the word we’re looking for but yee-haw, once a year a full flock of uncurried artisans, none of whom probably qualify for ‘chi-chi’ descend upon the place, invade the Rothesay Commons and put on one ass-kicked craft show. It’s worth the trip.

I got tagged to demonstrate needle felting and I did that pretty much without stopping. In fact, I was so busy yapping to people, talking textiles that I neglected to spend any money. The shock of this would have been fatal to my long-suffering husband, so to keep his world a-right, I bought Oneida a necklace. Not that there wasn’t places for me to splash the cash. Bejewel Jewellery Studio was there, as was Master Works Studios by Jonathan Corey. Both of these studios make stuff I covet dearly but I reigned in my tendency to acquire anything all shiny shiny and sparkly.

There was considerable interest in having some needle felting workshops so I think I need to organize a couple for September and October. Yet another thing for the ’list of many things to do’. Today, I hope to finish the needle felting wall hanging I started at the demo.

It was a great day. Liz and I shared space in the demo tent. I must confess that I was a tad nervous sitting with my little pile of off-white felt within striking distance of a woman armed with red iron mud and a bucket of dirty water. We had a great giggle at the start of the day. Liz trained as a potter when she was in craft college but hasn’t thrown a pot in four or five years. Apparently, playing in mud is like riding a bike -- you never forget how to make a mess.
The festival is still on today, for those of you in the southern/central New Brunswick region and I think the weather promises to be a little more co-operative. We were shut down a little early yesterday by some thunderstorm activity.

For those of you who follow Liz’s blog, she will be back. She’s just been busier than a one armed paper hanger this past week. Between the last minute run-up to the Festival and training two new staff members, she’s earned the non-existent pay cheque she doesn’t get. It has to be a labour of love.

In any event, it’s time for me to go torture more fuzzy things. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

What a beautiful picture. I would love to know how to throw a pot!

 
At 11:10 AM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Come north and east and I'm sure we can scare up someone willing to learn ya.

 
At 12:10 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Hopefully, one day I'll get up north with my favorite knitbud, Susan. Glad you guys had a great time. I sure wish I had enough money to be called "eccentric" instead of being called a nut-job, odd, or dysfunctional!

 
At 2:08 PM, July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Head on down diana, I am raring to teach someone older than 7 to throw a pot. and kate just isn't interested in playing in the mud with me
Sissy that she is she doesn't want to get diry, what a wuss
Liz

 
At 2:10 PM, July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, if your reference to nut jobs is meant for anyone in particular who may or may not live up the road, I believe troop of clowns is the usual kind term
Liz

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home