Friday, July 08, 2005

Somebody stop me before I stash again.


Come east, Diana, come east....

Diana, the Dysfunktional Knitter, would have been in stroke territory yesterday. She's taken it upon herself to keep the Canadian economy afloat with yarn purchases (thanks Diana, the PMO says we appreciate the efforts) and I'm thinking she needs to start spreading it in an easterly direction. Diana, I'm here to tell you that if you find yourself buried under a mountain of icky old cash that you need to dispose of, the London-Wul Farm would be a place to consider. I lit out, under the careful supervision of a semi-responsible adult and two impatient children, for this fibre junkie's paradise.

First off, I’m here to tell you that the directions posted on the website for the London-Wul Farm suck. Here’s the **real** version… Take Exit 474 A-B off the Trans-Canada Hy and turn onto Hy 132 southbound (towards Dieppe). Melanson Rd is on the left, before you get to the Dieppe Airport. The farm is a few kilometres down the road, again on your left.

Now that we’ve got that straightened out, I didn’t spend enough time wandering around there but the girls, Oneida and her little friend Jordan, were impatient to get to the water theme park. Brian kept reminding me that while they were being very good, the statute of limitations on that would run out shortly.


Not putting Liz out of business or anything

My purpose for the trip was to buy some wool dyes, not that I have any intention of putting Liz out of business or anything, but have you ever tried to describe a colour to someone else? The conversation quickly degenerates into a mess of it “it’s not quite that but it’s almost a this, but with more umppph and slightly heavier”. Liz and I can practically read each other’s minds and we can’t communicate it fully. I’ve come to the conclusion that for some things I’m just going to have to get off my fat duff and dye the damn stuff myself. So I picked up a basic starter kit of acid dyes and a couple of Gaywool dyes. This should be a project. I'm smelling 'blog fodder for the fall.

Obviously, this means there’s another road trip to Briggs & Little coming because I need some practise materials. I am not going to have at my first kick at the dye pot be this bit of bad-assed-ness…That's right, the stash needs expanding.



OH, you know it, baby, ...angora & silk


Oh yeah, baby, you know it. 2800m of 55% angora/45% silk blend, cobweb weight. Can we all say……..Shetland Shawl?? I know, I know…I need more yarn in this house like I need a do-it-yourself lobotomy kit. So how did I handle that issue? You got it . I bought more yarn…225 g of mohair madness but it was so yummy. Doesn’t that just scream shawl to you? You know you just need to wrap yourself in it. Now I need to figure out the colour for it.



And this fuzzy would be 1/2 lb of mohair badness

I could have splashed a lot more cash but the girls were at about the end of their collective tethers. Have no fear, I’ll be back when I have more time to wander and check out the place in full. It’s an Economusee site and there was a lot more to see. I mean besides the merino…check it out. I was very good and managed to not dive head first into the yarn barns. I know you're all so very proud of me. I’ll wait until my next trip to make a total arse of myself.


Don' t ya just wanna huff it??

Tomorrow, I’m off to the Rothesay Fine Craft Show. It’s one of two annual craft festivals sponsored by the New Brunswick Craft Council. I’m demonstrating needle felting on Saturday, so today I really need to get some stencils cut. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I'm reading your blog with my tongue hanging out and panting. No panic attack here! Saving my cash, gonna spend it in NB! Everything looks so delicious! Now I can't wait to see a picture of you dying the fiber. What color will you be? What color will the fiber be? How many gin and tonics does it take to get the color just right?

 
At 8:41 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Thank the fiber gods that place is far away! I would fill up my vehicle and float back home!
Diana, I don't know how many gin and tonics it takes to get the color right, three Boulevard Ales, is about the ticket for me. (Boulevard beer is brewed in Kansas City, qualifies as a local micro brew.)
I am dying like a fiend, pots cooking all night, rinsing, and mixing and rinsing and mixing. Sounds like shampoo, rinse, repeat. By the by I use cheap shampoo and creme rinse for washing my roving.
Deb
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home