Monday, August 15, 2005

Gosh, golly gee whiz and Darn...the OddBall loses it.

Yet another attempt at the Baby Sweater from Hell

I’d love to sit here, with a straight face and all, and tell you that the Mark III version on the BWFH came as a result of a quality control check and that after having knit 90% of the freaking thing, I had decided it wasn’t exactly up to OddBall standards and I decided to re-knit the entire sweater in a looser gauge.

But, alas, in a fit of insanity, I blurted the truth out to Liz yesterday on the phone. And the truth of the matters is that I, uhhhhhhhhhh, errrrrrrrrrrr, I lost it. I mean the sweater as opposed to my mind. And the only reason I’m even telling you all this is because Liz would bloody rat me out anyway.

It was in my knitting bag. I took it to work. I put it back in the bag. It is now decidedly not in the bag. It is not at home. It is not at work and it’s not in the car. The best I can figure is that when I was at the grocery store the other day, it decided it couldn’t take anymore and unlocked the car and threw itself under a passing transport truck in the only recorded case of sweater-cide in modern history. I understand from historical sources that the last case of sweater-cide was in 1451, in the south of France.

Has this detered me any? Ohhhhhhh, mais non, mes amis, au contraire…I’m back at it, because if it wasn’t for the Baby Sweater From Hell, what else would I have to curse at? I’d have to yell at the kid or something. Or, perish the bloody thought, have a peaceful and relaxing and dare I say, productive day at the Knittery and you all know that would just be totally WRONG on every level.

Talk at you’se all laters; I’m off to the bloody yarn shop because, of course, and you knew it was going down this way, the ball of yarn I grabbed to start the third version of the sweater is NOT enough to do it completely. Did I notice before I had it 2/3s done? Of course not. Why? Because I’m an idiot. That's why. That and when was the last freaking time I bought one ball of yarn? I mean, it's an understandable error.

And the first person to say the word 'dye lot' is so cut off from the OddBall liquor cabinet. That includes you, Liz.

Sigh…thanks for reading. I’ll post pictures of the BSFH this afternoon. I would now but the computer is busy backing up the photo files to CD. Thought I ought to get that little detail looked after, considering how my week has gone otherwise.

8 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Oh dear, oh my! This case of sweater-cide will go down in history. When all is said and done, we will call the pope for the blessing of the sweater and will call it the BSFH(heaven). Drink up, my dear!

 
At 4:17 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Oh, but it gets worse....2 hours after I blogged the damn goof up, the sweater crawled out from the bag of potato chips it was trying to get frisky with in the back of the pantry. How it ended up there, I have no idea but I'm so blaming the freaking OddBall IT and Technical Support Division, just because I haven't picked on them in a while.

 
At 12:00 PM, August 16, 2005, Anonymous the hubby said...

There will be no blaming the IT Division. If it does not have a electronic chip in it we do not touch it. What is happening is the knitting gods telling you not to knit. Sell all of your wool and buy nice toys for the IT Division.

 
At 12:54 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Don't fall for that trick! Hiding one's projects, only makes us crazier. The IT Division is definitely at fault. I'm such a Lays potato chip addict; nothing would stay hidden behind that bag for very long. Now if it was in the vegetable drawer in the fridge, I wouldn't find it for days!

 
At 8:43 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

after that MRS Haines comment. don't be cuttin me off the liquor cabinet, even if I do scream DYELOT DYELOT DYELOT. You definately owe me on that one.

 
At 11:15 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

You do realize that when you have more than half of the newest version done, you're going to stumble on the LAST version. I think it's one of Murphy's Laws. Look it up.

See? I just read the comments and that thing DID turn up.

I should rent myself out as a psychic...or is that a physic? LOL

 
At 5:56 PM, August 17, 2005, Anonymous Pam said...

Laughing out loud!! I actually saw your sweater hitchhiking on my way to work in Orlando...

Glad it found it's way back home!

Very cute little sweater, by the way. You should make another one...

 
At 9:14 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Orlando!! You little tartlet sweater you....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home