Friday, August 19, 2005

Hurray for the OddBall


Done


Wow, I’ve got a serious case of YES DAMMIT’s going on …Yes, dammit, the sweater is finished and YES DAMMIT, it’s delivered and YES DAMMIT, I never have to look at it again.

Okay, now I’m happy with it. Even stitched together, I wasn’t overly crazy about it but once it was blocked, it was a different sweater all together. Now I like it. Joan likes it and with luck, the darling little rosebud will like it too.

The Official Baby Sweater from Hell is back on the machine. I’ve managed to knit, re-knit, or re-hang all the requisite parts. Liz’s doubts to the contrary, I know for a fact that the evil knitting fairies are the ones who un-knit one of the sweater fronts and re-knit it so I’d end up with 2 the same. There is no way I could have possible screwed that one up. I mean, even drunk, I still know my lefts from my rights.

Right?

Right.

Today, the task is to get the collar and front bands done, without getting bloody plastered because I have to work tonight and they so have a thing about me showing up there in a sober state.

Speaking of liquor…gin season is over. It was 3 degrees at 5 am. That’s 37 degrees for those of you who don’t speak metric. Fall’s in the air. Time to switch to single malt.


New toy -- the garter bar


And just like I needed another toy but I went and bought a garter bar for the knitting machine. As fun as it’s been using waste yarn and re-hanging stitches 927 times for every project, I thought I’d venture out into the technology bit. For those of you hand-knitters out there, one of the completely wierd things to get over with a knitting machine is there is no 'purl' row. The most basic of all knitting stitch patterns, the garter stitch (Knit every row for those of you still hungover) is a freaking ordeal on a knitting machine. You have to knit the row...take all the stitches off, turn the work around, hang all the stitches back on the needles and knit a row...all the stitches off....You all see where the amusing part of this would quickly expire. Hence, some genius invented the 'garter bar' which is a gizmo so you can take all the stitches off in basically one movement, turn the work around and rehang with another step. Having had a knitting machine all of a month, I'm thinking it should have been nominated for a Nobel Prize.

There are instructions on the internet for making them out of bobby pins and rulers. That’s probably great for someone who has seen one before and knows how to use one. Me, I need the instruction book and something that’s a little more precise than do it yourself. Next one, I’ll make.

In any event, that collar for the Baby Sweater from Hell has not hung itself, so I’m off to do the productive thing. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, August 20, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

Wow, that's some garter belt. I know when I wear one, everything comes off not just the sweater!

By the way,the sweater is absolutely gorgeous. I just love it.

 
At 7:14 AM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

*SNORT*

Ever notice how some things in life are totally dependable...like how Diana can always somehow work something naughty into a knitting conversation.

God, I love this woman!!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home