Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mondays happen


It looks so bloody innocent.

Alas, another baby sweater. I was pretty damn proud of myself actually. I started it Sunday night and did the back and one front and jointed those two with a sleeve. The sleeve was all hemmed. It looked so very, very pretty. I cast on the hem for the second front. It was late in the evening and being a good girl, I went to bed, utterly unsuspecting of what lay in wait for me the very next day.

Monday. Not just a Monday. A Monday morning.

Being a shift worker for the past 20-some years, days of the week mean nothing to me. It’s either my first or second dayshift, my first or second night shift, or it’s Day 1, 2, 3 or 4 off. What’s with this naming the days of the week, and when did that start up anyway?

In any event, regardless of the fact that days do not have cute little mythological derived names in the Odd Ball Universe, Monday as a force of chaos and confusion still exists. One cup of coffee and I sat down to the knitting machine and in about 3 minutes, did about 40 some rows of the sweater front and I ran out of yarn. As I was swapping to the new ball, I noticed I had knit the front with the wrong tension. Silly me. It was supposed to be tension setting 8, last thing I had done the night before was the hem which requires tension 10. Ce n'est pas un problème. Zip Zip Zip…it was ripped out back to the hem and re-hung when what I should have done was doused the entire thing in kerosene, struck a match and walked away.

I fixed that minor snafu, re-knit the front and added the back piece, so I could knit the second sleeve. It’s not yet 10 am and damn, things are going just great. I might get something accomplished today.

On this particular sweater, without getting into the gruesome machine knitting details, there’s a fair amount of partial row knitting. Instead of casting off the edges of the raglan sleeve inset on the body parts, needles are just left in a hold position and picked up to knit the sleeve in. The problem arises when you returning to those stitches, it’s pretty easy to let one or say….five….drop off the needles. Of course, they were at the end I wasn’t working on and I didn’t notice until it was way too late in the game. The tension weights on the knitting made a bloody mess of it and when I pulled it away from the machine, I couldn’t figure out what the hell had happened. And herein lies the problem, I really haven’t figured out exactly what’s happening when I put these needles into the ‘hold’ position, how the yarn is wrapped, etc. Consequently, fixing it was a ‘not happening’ deal.

Not that I didn’t try. I spend about 2 ½ hours trying to ‘fix it’ and I just knew that my ‘fix’ would be about as obvious as an elephant track through a lemon meringue pie.

I stared at it.

I glared at it.

I spoke very, very, very sternly to it. I even snuck out for a few minutes to give the Knitting Fixing Fairies a chance to work, but apparently, that slack-arsed lot belong to the same union as the Dish Washing Fairies and the Vacuum Running Fairies .

The sweater remained, very stubbornly, not fixed.

In the end, and what I should have done about four hours earlier and saved myself all this aggravation, was rip the entire thing out and start again. And let’s not take this any farther than saying that the next time I start one of these mega demolition projects, I’m doing in front of the ball winder and wind the yarn as it comes off instead of spending a month of Sundays trying to sort that mess out.

So that was my Monday. How was yours? Apparently, Monday happened on the south side of the river as well, and wasn’t just confined to the Marysville area. Check out Joe Poet’s account of how he and our gal, Liz, spend Monday building furniture. They didn’t stop until it was well into Tuesday and apparently, it might be Wednesday before things have recovered.

Today, I learn how to frig things up using the ribber, because one bed of way too many needles is not sufficiently frustrating for this OddBall. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

PS: If the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division reads this before he gets home from his real job, we're out of duct tape.

6 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

how the hell do YOU GUYS run out of duct tape, don't you own stock in the company???? Maybe the knitting faeries are duct taped together in the storage room from hell.

 
At 8:00 AM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

We use it for fixing sweaters.

 
At 3:22 PM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

figures

 
At 10:30 PM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

There was a time when I wanted a knitting machine. But only if it comes with a machine gun will I buy one!

Knit-on!

 
At 10:36 PM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

And I was wondering what that strange mounting bracket to the left was all about...it's the machine gun mount. It's all makinig sense now.

 
At 10:52 PM, August 28, 2005, Blogger Liz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home