Monday, August 01, 2005

Stash enhancement of the worst kind

Okay, what exactly am I going to do with the 8.7 billion meters of yarn mixed in with the several pounds of cotton yarns on cones. Apparently, I've inherited my mother's stash to go along with my own ton of stuff. We filled my little Honda to the gunnels and there are still about 8 boxes left to go. This OddBall really needs to get knitting. Thank God for the knitting machines which can make short work of anything. Even if these yarns aren't something I would buy (several unidentified species of 70s 'wonder miracle fibres' are in the mix), it's still good for practice and goodness knows, I need the practice.

It was an unexpected moment. My sister was up from Halifax and had started cleaning out a downstairs closet because her oldest son, James, is coming to live with my father when he starts university in September. Once the first closet was started, there was nothing like keeping with the job. It was a hard moment and the dust didn't do a lot for my asthma.

In keeping with the theme, last night was an exercise in grumbling. I'd knit up a Christmas sock from one of the yarns I'd dyed earlier this weekend. And I'm still working on a method that will finish it 'nicely'...I'm not completely happy with the finished product so far but I digress...When I went to wash it and block it, the colour ran. Dummy here forgot to do a final rinse of the yarn after dyeing. Grumble Grumble. Of course, I had already wound it all into balls because, oh I'm efficient if nothing else. Back to the skien winder and unwind all the balls back into skiens and wash them. Not a drop of dye came out of them. Not even out of the You're Not Bloody Kidding Red yarn. Grumble Grumble. Screw it -- I soaked them all in cold salt water anyway. I'll reball them tonight.

Of course, in the process of going from ball back to skein, one skein exploded and I had string everywhere. Grumble Grumble. At which time I decided it was time for me to go to bed. It had been an exceedingly long day.

2 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, August 02, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

It sounds like you're having a ball! I

 
At 8:30 PM, August 02, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Still have that address for the lady in Guelph???? LOL It does make good pracice yarn.
Thanks for the comment on my ad. I am listed now on handspinners.com nothing like self promotion! Happy knitting, it does get better!
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home