Saturday, October 01, 2005

Machine Knitting in the Maritimes


Maritime Machine Knitters


Well, today is the full day session of the Maritime Machine Knitters Annual seminar, workshop and chat fest. I was there last night for the opening sessions and it was a blast.

There are machine knitters from all over and I mean ALL OVER. Obviously, the Maritime provinces, NB, NS, PEI, are represented and we have visitors from the New England states and Ontario. The roster goes even farther afield. Graham and Mary Avery from New Zealand were there and gave us a nice chat on machine knitting way south. They do a lot of knitting for the Japanese market. They also talked about how their area knitting clubs are helping grow the local interest in machine knitting. For some superb photos of knitwear, check out the New Zealand Machine Knitters Society web page. The pictures from their 2005 Taumarunui Festival are wild!

I had a great chat with Barb Telford from Woodsmoke Farms. She won the shawl division of the knit competition. I really need to get down there and learn some more from this woman. She teaches me more in a 15 minute conversation than I get from reading a dozen books.

In any event, the kick off for this morning’s seminars is 8:30, so I need to shake a leg. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Diana said...

I think it's great you're attending the MMK annual seminar/workshop. It amazes me that you're still plowing along with your monster. I would not have persevered. In other words, I would have burned it at the stake!

 
At 11:27 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Well, damn, no one told me that was an option!!!

 
At 2:17 PM, October 03, 2005, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
great to see you have found a place to learn from the pro's!
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home