Saturday, October 29, 2005

The OddBall Vacation


My latest two scarves


I’m still trying to grind my way through the DoneButs that have accumulated in every corner of the house. You’ll all be relieved to know that the Bird Flu scarf is now beaded and blocked. It’s still hideous.

It’s been bit of a strange week. On one hand, I’ve been dealing with an almost 10 year old who is going to go completely insane before her birthday on Tuesday. The girlfriend party is today, complete with treat bags etc. The family party is probably Wednesday. I can actually remember when birthdays were a one day event and NOT an week long festival. Man, where did the last decade go?

And then my dad brought over a big huge lot of my mother’s stuff. For those of you who aren’t regular readers, or are new to the ‘Blog, my mom Eileen died in April. I have stacks and stacks and stacks of just amazingly hideous yarns now. There is enough 1970s Phentex to open a museum exhibit, along with the requisite bags and bags of undone projects. I took the plunge and threw them all out before I got it into my head I could recycle the yarn or something.

There’s been some cool stuff as well. My mother’s weaving notes and her dye sample books. Those I’ll keep as a memory.

And Dale, my hairdresser, loved the mohair scarf I made to go with his black wool jacket. It’s the same yarn as here, except I did it in the knit 2 rows, purl 2 rows instead of lace.

I found another pile of my unfinished projects. I have another week’s vacation and I’m going to see about getting through at least some of those. But of course, we all need a ‘in front of the television’ project, so I’ve got two new scarves on the needles. One, I’m not so impressed with…that would be the black one. The other is going to be all right, I think. It’s the seafoam stitch which I’ve always hated because I’ve always done it in the WRONG yarn. Then I read to use mohair yarns for those elongated stitch patterns and it rather fills it in.

In any event, it’s time to rock and roll for the birthday party. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home