Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Gauge and tension...


Scarves in two gauges.


Okay, well, what did you do today? My day was largely occupied by sleeping and ripping and a bit of knitting.

First the ripping part: I went to sew on part 3 of the pig jacket to discover that in my wild madness, I had made said part 3 too long by 32 rows -- at the start of part 3. I hummed. I hawed. I think I even pondered but there was NO get out from under the mistake. Trust me, I tried. So, in a fit of “oh for the Love of Saint Peter” (or something spelled vaguely like that), I ripped it asunder. Tore it out completely and rewound the yarn. Now that’s a frogging you can stand up and be proud of.

Then, last night, while I was in conference with several other knitters -- that’d be Joan, Becky and Meagan, we came to the unanimous conclusion that the tension on my Irish Hiking Scarf was too tight. I had a sneaking suspicious about mile marker 8” inches that it was too dense but soldiered on. Last night I took it into my head to recast the scarf on size 6 mm needles. Much, much better. So size 6 it shall be. The size 5 mm is just too dense for a scarf. You want a bit of drapey with a scarf, in my opinion.

All is not lost however. I took into my head that I could use the size 5 used to be a scarf for the foundation for a hat. NO frogging there, you’ll all be glad to hear. It’s getting recycled.

And where's the pictures of the pig jacket? Well, it's not much to look at right now. It's a huge chunk of teal Briggs & Little singles knit up too loose on a knitting machine with two smaller chunks to be added. Use your imaginations -- rectangle in teal. That's it to date. Not terribly photogenic, I'm afraid.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading. I'm knitting ALL day tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, January 05, 2006, Anonymous Willy's Momma said...

Hurry. The pig is freezing.

Just kidding.

 
At 11:30 PM, January 05, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

ooooh i like the hiking scarfy thingy. d'ya think I could do that?????

 
At 12:19 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Yes, Liz, it's dead ass easy and knit up fairly quick.

Call me when you get a chance.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home