Friday, January 06, 2006

The happiest member of the OddBall family


Portrait of contentment


Urgent Blogspot communique arrived yesterday. “Hurry. The Pig if freezing."

I’m here to bet that not many family communications start off with that sentence but I’m not the lone wingnut in this OddBall Family.

Meet Wilbur..aka Willy, aka Total Cutie-Pie. I’ll confess that last year I thought my sister had lost her mind when she said she’d adopted a pot-belly pig. The woman has three kids (2 teenagers and a preschooler), a husband, 2 cats, a gecko, a dog, a demanding career. Now that’s a household that needs an addition to it and what else would she need other than a pig?

Yup, I was ready to have her committed. And then Willy arrived in my life, vicariously. I met Willy last year when he came to Grandma’s (our parents) home for Christmas. I had absolutely NO intention of liking this ani-mule, let alone falling in love with him. But what can I say, he’s a charmer.

Okay, I’ve revised my opinion on pigs as pets. They’re loveable and heart stealers. I haven’t revised my opinion on my sister. Having seen how much work a pig is, I still think she’s insane, as she tries to organize that crew of three kids, husband, career, cats, dog, gecko…..Fish. I forgot the fish. Ringley Bros. travels lighter than she does on vacation. And please, don’t ask how pigs travel. Let’s just leave it at NOT WELL.

So, at the end of the day, as much as I love Willy, he’s an enormous amount of work, so there’s no pigs headed for the OddBall crib. But I can satiate my piggy requirements by knitting him jackets. I hope to have it ready for felting by tomorrow.

Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

You are fricken' nuts, girl! I can't believe you're knitting a pig jacket. Were you sober when you decided to knit that project?

 
At 2:31 PM, January 06, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

He may be a heart stealer, but he's kinda ugly.

 
At 5:58 PM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

I guess living on a pig farm for a year quashed my affection for them as pets. The smell still lingers. I do like that irish hiking scarf. one of my first home ec projects was knitting a scarf and mittens that were very similar to that pattern. Back when Red Heart was wool!
Ta,
Deb

 
At 3:35 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

Poor freezing Willy. (Does that sound WRONG to you?)

Are you knitting him any special type of jacket?

Pullover? Cardigan?

Put wings on the back so pigs can...

oh, nevermind

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home