Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Oddball Gets Olympic Fever


Grab your sticks -- Game ON.


Well, as she often does, the OddBall Universe’s resident psychic -- yes, none other than our own Diana, the Dysfunktional Knitter -- made another one of her eerily predictive statements. She wrote “I think knitting and drinking should be an Olympic sport!”

Strangely enough, around the same time she was typing that on my blog, I was over reading the Yarn Harlot and in a moment of madness, signed myself up for the Winter Knitting Olympics. Technically, I don’t think I qualify because I’ve actually started the project but starting is never my issue. My issue is always finishing. And as regular readers know from my constant on and on about it, I have a silk shawl that is in need of about 20 feet of border -- 16 days to knit 20 feet of 8” wide lace border. It’s not a piker’s challenge. It’s do-able but it’s a commitment. In any event, I did a bit of humming and hawing and despite the fact I was stone cold sober at the time, I bellowed out the OddBall Battle Cry (Oh, what the hell!) and signed up for the Winter Knitting Olympics. In keeping with my biggest source of angst this week, The OddBall’s Winter Knitting Olympic Project is finishing the silk shawl promised the Tyler Hamilton Foundation. I think it's rather fitting, in a lopsided oddball way, considering Hamilton is an Olympic gold medal winner (Athens 2004).

Well, that’s the knitting part…what about the drinking part? Well, Stephanie the Yarn Harlot has those bases covered as well. In yesterday’s column, she covered the dreaded ‘drug testing’ question:

B. Asks "Will there be drug testing?"

No. Although you should be careful to make sure you are consuming enough drugs. (Namely chocolate, red wine and coffee and toward the end...hard liquor.) As for the stronger stuff, I figure that if you can knit a challenge while using any other drugs, good luck to you. It's like that
Canadian Snowboarder who won gold while he was high as a kite. Most peoples major feat after going the way of the BC Skunkweed is to successfully locate a bag of cookies. The way I see it, if you can do that while you are stoned, you should get two gold medals. I wouldn't be able to find the snow.

So there you have it. The OddBall has laid her pride on the line and has a nearly full bottle of Aberlour in the whiskey cupboard. Let the Games begin and the shawl be finished!

Speaking of finishing, a note to Willy because I know Willie’s Momma reads this…I haven’t forgot you, honey, and your jacket is almost finished. Auntie Kate will be down soon for a fitting.

Talk to you’se all laters. I have to go swatch. It’s okay -- Stephanie has classified ‘swatching’ as training. Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Holy Shit! I'm going to check out Yarn Harolot's blog. Winter Olympics? A dream come true for knitters, drinkers and stoners!

 
At 1:56 PM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't do much when on alcohol but smoke a little reiffer and i am away for hours to crochet, quilt, embroider etc..love your work. I found your blog, looking for knitter, crochet, etc.

from B.C. Gold

 
At 3:23 PM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Yep, I'll take your double dawg dare -- you're on! One skein coming right up!

 
At 3:50 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Hey woman, glad to see you found a good use for the Knitting M. Tying tassles, not everyone would think of that.
I've gotten busier than a one armed paper hanger here lately, teaching classes selling lots of roving, and am about to have a dye marathon, I got 90 # of roving! yikes what got into me poor head?
Deb

 
At 8:49 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

I think that I will pass on the Knitting olympics. You remember what my knitting looks like when soaked in Baja. Or maybe you don't. I don't remember, but Liz assured me that it was BAD. I want my socks to be wearable. And I know that socks are not a chalenge to most, but....Baby steps here ladies. Baby steps.

 
At 11:34 PM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

note to the world. jackie was knitting MY project at the baja moment. The damned scarf has never been right!!!! I have to tuck it in, and zip my coat over it to feel good. Never give jackie baja and knitting. her socks look good though, we just polished off 2 litres of fine white plonk, and she made actual progress, despite Matt daimon on screen.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home