Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Y me, Lord??


Where's the Y?

Well, in the What in the Name of the Great Spaghetti Monster Possessed You to Take This Bastard Job On? Department, we have the continuing saga of the border for the silk shawl. And the photo above demonstrates the last two day’s worth of effort and/or cursing.

After having taught myself (again) to crochet and figuring out where I’m supposed to put my tongue, I swatched. And I swatched some more on progressively smaller hooks. And when I thought I had it just about right, I had it with the shawl yarn and the dreaded 2 mm hook. You see the results. Honest, there’s a letter Y in there somewhere. Hint, it’s at the bottom. Not exactly the portrait of readability, now is it? Even counting for my weak eyes and overactive imagination, I can see this here plan of attack is not working in any dimension. No amount of wishful thinking and/or blocking is going to make this sit up and bark.

Two issues are coming to the forefront rather pointedly. One, crochet is a total yarn pig and while I have nearly 400g of the purple silk left, it was going at a ridiculous pace. Secondly, this was going to commit me to a border of 11 inches, when I’m aiming for 8. As it is, this shawl will exceed 6’ in diameter -- unblocked!!! Do we really need to stick another 6 inches plus onto it? No, didn’t think so.

Second, it is the yarn colour variegation. When I dyed this silk, it was a very careful purposefully tone-on-tone amethyst to purple deal. The yarn is not evenly dyed in the least bit which is exactly what I wanted. It gives a sense of texture to the lace and a subtlety of shading. However, for this filet crochet, it’s working against me in that the variegation is a distraction from the form.

Final analysis -- wrong size. Wrong colour. At which point, even this OddBall could recognize the mission needed to be scrubbed.

Which brings us nicely to The Silk Shawl Border -- Chapter 287. You know that at some point, the novelty of all this is going to start to wear thin.



Why, there it is.


Back to the drawing board -- again. Mother of Pearl, I need my head read. Fortunately, I just happen to have 7. 8 billion miles of lace weight silk on hand, undyed of course. Like what household would be complete without it? And a 1.25 mm hook and here’s yesterday’s pursuit of perfection. A little better on the readability front and it’s about 8 inches wide, which works much better for me.


Now, the colour issue needs to be kicked around. Obviously, dying it to match the other silk is not going to happen. Can we all say ‘dye lot’? Right -- not a chance in hell I’d ever match it up. I’m contemplating leaving it natural, if I can pull it off without it looking like “I was afraid to dye this” when it’s up against the rest of the shawl. And I think I need to stick with a lighter colour because the dark colours are just going to obscure the lettering.


On the other hand, I could opt for glitter glue and ostrich feathers. Don't sneer -- I'm almost there. Come on -- it's my lifetime ambition to make the cut for You Knit What??



It's a pig jacket


No? Well, I guess I can leave my kindergarden designer tendencies to be put to use with Willie’s jacket. The main jacket is done. Now I’m knitting the yardage for the felted roses…oh come on, you just know it needs it. I have no idea where to put the underarm strap on it so I think I’m going to leave that until I go to Halifax for the fitting.


In any event, I’ve got a kid to haul to the orthodontist and crap to accomplish, so that‘s it for today‘s blather. In yet another moment of madness, I talked myself into taking someone else’s night shifts so I doing four in a row. Probably won’t be blogging much until the weekend. Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

8 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

How about dyeing the yarn in a light purple, don't even make it look like you were trying to match colours. Or you could try some sort of a contrasting colour. You MUST have something in your stash that you could do a colour comparason with. ANd nice recovery in the Y department. You rule!

 
At 12:36 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Yeah, I've pondered it a bit more and we're going to have to dye it. I'm going to finish the piece and then WE...that'd be you, me and the Lizzie-girl, are going to get tanked on on some form of liquor and holler "what the hell" until someone has the guts to fire the whole mess into the dye pot.

 
At 2:26 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

I can't wait to see Willie in his pig jacket. Afterall, all pigs should have their own little jacket.

I ask myself why do we keep torturing ourselves with projects that require thinking and swatching. Well, I think I came up with an answer. It's so we can have an excuse to drink and unwind from our "supposed-to-be-relaxing" hobbies! I've been hittin' the Bailey's pretty hard with this spinning thing.

Have fun workin' your night shifts. Do you like nights?

 
At 8:45 PM, January 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooohhh,you are making me cringe.
your crochet? perhaps u should keep to knitting,weaving etc. with filet crochet u must work horizonal

 
At 1:31 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

anonymous needs to drink more. I think the crochet is great.And I am all for consuming liquor, and since I cannot afford baby sitting (since our darling stephen hit parliament hill I vote for my house my dyepot and kate's booze.m Jackie I have a plastic cup with your name on it.
Bill and the oddball it dept are totally booked for non haines childcare, and the snacks are on me.
If you two don't have the balls, I will dye the damned shawl.

 
At 1:32 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

love ya

 
At 8:22 AM, January 25, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Have balls, will dye. In fact, you will be able to see my ball ( one only actually) on my blog soon.

 
At 6:38 PM, January 28, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Oh yeah, crochet eats yarn like you wouldn't believe.
Keep it up, we want to see a shawl!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home