Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Crochet is for crazy people anyway


I feel your pain, mate.


At 9 this morning, I had 26 inches of the filet crochet border done. By 11, I had 16 inches.
If tink is the obverse of knit, what is the equivalent for crochet? I’ve spent 2 hours tearing this thing apart because there is an irreversible, completely obvious, structure defining error in the piece. I didn’t even have to contemplate if there was a way around it. From the discovery of it, it was obvious that the only way out was to rip, rip, rip and rip. The pain in arse bit of it comes from the fact I’m working with silk so those little fibres tangle and snarl up and it’s not so easy hauling it out.

Am I pissed off? Not really. I’ve never done any crochet before so naturally, I haven’t got the ‘rules’ down yet. Here’s a rule for you: every few rows, check to make sure you haven’t dropped a square along the way. By the time I discovered the error, I’d dropped two which pulled the whole thing off the straight.

In any event, it’s nap time. I have to work tonight. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

Sorry to hear you had to rip so much out. Ouch!

I've always called it frogging in both knitting and crochet. Or just "ripping it out." Nothing cute and interesting, I'm afraid.

 
At 10:36 AM, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so call me crazy..i love to filet crochet, maybe if you do your pattern on graph paper you could see it better, but i do think no matter how good you become one still has to at times rip some out...

 
At 11:02 AM, February 03, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Actually, it is all graphed out. There's no easy weasel out of this one...I just plain old fashioned screwed up.

 
At 3:46 PM, February 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello! from the filet crochet lady. I just live near Penniac Fredericton, do you think you might like for me to come and show you all about filet crochet? I can B@S too.i have many years experience. Could bring some lovely sample? I am a single mother, french/italian, my son is a student at STU.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home