Sunday, February 05, 2006

Just another detail


Knitting Looms

Okay, so it’s time for the weekend update.

Saturday was the trip en famille to Saint John. Destination: Michael’s Craft Store. Why? Because I haven’t got near enough crap in this place all ready. That's why.

In all fairness, it was NOT my idea. For a change. It was entirely the doing of the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division in his never ending quest for terrain for his miniature soldiers. Word to the wise: do not call them cute, in spite of the fact that they’re 6 millimetres tall and painted all pretty (not the Soviets, they’re dull but the Byzantines can only be described as cute).

This is not to suggest that I didn’t do my part to support the local economy. Au contraire, I have decided to have yet another freaking dilemma with the shawl for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation. It needs a box. Well, after all that work involved in it, I can’t very well ship it off in a plastic Sobey’s bag, now can I?

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. So, what kind of box to build? What do you mean … buy a box? How ridiculous. Okay, I thought about it but the sweater sized boxes were more than I wanted to spend on a box and furthermore, and most importantly, I think they looked sucky. In several dimension of suckiness.

And I’ve got this pseudo-rustic faux package, decoupaged, stressed, antiqued thing rushing around in my head. And, on a bright note, since no one lost an eye or anything with my last papier maché project, we are off to the races. Just exactly what I needed -- another detail on this project. Oh well, it’s not like I take this a project of this magnitude on a weekly basis.

So, today was spent fiddling with papier maché and various boxes. One is a dismal failure, the other look promising. I figure by the time I’m finished, I would have been able to buy the damn box for a third of what I spend frigging around with this, but it doubles as an amusement for the cat.

And the shawl? The actual object for which we are building said box? Yeah, still at it. I took today off because yesterday my shoulder was killing me and I’ve dealt with enough repetitive strain injuries to know when it hurts, stop for 24 hours. I’m almost finished the yn erbyd bit which leaves me with one more section left to crochet. Then, it’s the dye pot and the count down for Friday’s Great and Glorious Cast On.

And what’s with the circular bibbly bobbies in the photo? Well, they were practically giving away those stupid knitting looms at Michaels and my curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a 5 pack or something. I tried one out last night. For the record, I’m not overly impressed but in fairness, I haven’t give it much of a chance.

In any event, tomorrow requires me to make more mess with paper and wall paper paste and oh yes, PMC clay. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Okay, on a serious note, be careful with your shoulder. I ended up with a right frozen shoulder, and months of therapy didn't help much. I still don't have full range of motion.

You're making a box? You go, girl!

 
At 9:39 PM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

I kinda like making boxes, despite having to help make shipping cartons at work.

Yup, liking boxes means I've broken into my Knitting Olympics beer stash one day early.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home