Friday, February 10, 2006

Ladies, grab your ...ummmm.. balls.


Me and another 3300 maniacs with needles

Well, it’s here…time for the start of the Great and Glorious Cast On, although not for another couple of hours. The Yarn Harlot didn’t know what she was unleashing when she threw down the bamboo 8s and dared us all to knit something challenging. Thirty-three hundred otherwise sane people signed up. The Harlot had to recruit volunteer administrative staff just to keep the list up to date.

Some of the stories behind the project have been heart-touching. One woman who is suffering from debilitating arthritis in her hands has made the pledge that she’s going to knit one STITCH a day for the next 16 days because that’s what she can handle right now.

There’s a lot of knitters tackling their first pair of socks or their first lace project. The Yarn Harlot is on for a sweater patterned on the Olympic Ski Team sweaters. Lucia the Knitting Fiend is up for a sweater. Dancing Barefoot of Team Grad Students is on for a shawl. I can't remember if Jackie is drinking or knitting lace for this one. Liz, the Bestest Friend Ever and Diana the Dysfunktional Knitter signed on for the drinking support team, although I’ll confess I was dreadfully disappointed to find out Diana is only drinking for the American team. Like in these troubled times the world needs such a petty display of parochialism. Come on, Diana, broaden your horizons and drink for international peace and co-operation or at least, for being blissfully besotted together.

Severina claims she’s knitting a 1940s short sleeved sweater but I suspect she’s probably crocheting individual Angora bunny hairs together with a size 94 hook and the use of a microscope into a bedspread or a garage door. She’s mad that one, utterly mad.


In a somewhat unfinished form

And the OddBall? Well, she’s on for what she does worst of all -- finishing projects. I started this shawl last summer for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation with full intents of having it done by Christmas. It’s February and well, you see where we’re to with the project. The shawl is knit but the border is not. It was one of those projects that I spent more time ripping than I did knitting and my sense of guilt was building. So, when the Harlot bellowed, I decided it was time to get down to business.

I’ve spent the last two weeks getting ready for the blessed event, buying supplies, doing some preliminary work, swatching and laying in essentials. In addition to the Aberlour, there’s a couple of bottles of vodka and one bottle of gin in the cupboard. Surely to Pete that will tide me over the next 16 days. Lindt, who really should be an official sponsor of any Knitting Olympics…hell, they should just be considered sponsors of that thing called Life… have been stocked in the 70%, 80% and as pictured, 85% cocoa strengths.

So where does this all stand just hours before the Great and Glorious Cast On?

1. Crochet filet portion of the border: 90% crocheted and in need of dying.

2. Dye: bought, received and a dye pot date tentatively booked with Liz for Monday.

3. Pearls: bought, received but beading pattern not determined.

4. Border pattern: designed, swatched charted, needs minor tweaking but good to go.

5. Central medallion: PMC clay in stock, design designed and approved by the Tyler Hamilton Foundation for the use of their logo.

6. Display box: started, design pretty much worked out in my head but I figure I’m going to need a break from the knitting every once in a while.

7. Artist statement: ohhhh puuuuuuuuuhleeeese, people, will you get serious? I’m with Severina on that one -- “Artist likes shiny things“.

Okay, there you have it: Sixteen days to take this pile of plunder and put it together into one cohesive project, done to the DoneButs™. The idea is to have the shipping box sealed and addressed when the Olympic Flame is extinguished. In the meanwhile, in order to keep me honest and on track, I hope to keep this blog updated on a daily basis.

Now, I’m starting to think I’m just plain nuts. Talk to you’se all tomorrow; thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Ahhh, my secret is out!
How did you find out I'm crocheting a Victorian garage-door antimacassar? In handspun spider's silk from specially-trained spiders I've raised myself?

I'm delerious already & I just got home from work. I should be preparing the arena, I mean sofa, for The Opening Ceremonies. This will involve running through my kitchen with The Olympic Beer Bottle Opener hoisted high above my head, then the Opening of The First Guinness Bottle.

Let the games begin.

 
At 10:09 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Honey, I haven't spent nearly 20 years in law enforcement for nuttin'....On behalf of the surveillance team, can we get you to enunciate more clearly next to the lamp in the living room? Thanks.

 
At 1:01 AM, February 11, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

snort, caugh, snicker, I actually drank a beer for kate, one for severina and one for diana. I am now pureeing the homemade cream of mushroom soup and crackin a keiths for the team YOU GOP GIRLS!!!!!
oh sev, take care of those spiders, I have a reproduction roman loom to warp in the none too distant future. I will need their help.

 
At 6:20 AM, February 11, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Who knew?

Years ago, Bill did some online computer support for a fellow who worked fro the CIA, and didn't the guy send him a CIA mug. We always wondered how small microphones could get and would sometimes "talk" to the mug.

"And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

For the record, I am working towards finishing my sock. If I knew that you could have signed up with UFOs, I might have. And as for the drinking...That goes with out saying.

 
At 6:02 PM, February 11, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

I knew there was something suspicious about the guy who sold me that lamp. He sounded oddly Canadian...

Ooh liz, a reproduction Roman loom? (wipes drool from chin) I once got it into my head to build a repro medieval loom--one of those two-person jobbies you have to park a little aprentice kid on top to work. I thought I'd do it when I moved out of my micro-loft and into a real apartment.
I just signed a lease for a broom closet with appliances. Damn.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home