Saturday, February 11, 2006

The OddBall Blows Day 1


Update

On the good news front, I managed to finish the filet crochet part of the border to the design specifications of ohhhhhhh, say a week ago. Well, that was Then and this is Now. Those most familiar with how my mind ’works’ recognize this preamble as my way of saying I’ve decided that I don’t like the ’just letters’ bit of the border. Well, it’s an overstatement to say “I Don’t Like It”. The more accurate reflection on the state of affairs is that I more or less think it needs more.

Less is more. Yeah, I’ve heard that theory. Screw that…More is more and more more is more or less better. My prominent design theory -- when you’ve got to the point where you really think it can’t take any more, add beads and one more colour. Told you my ambition was to grace the pages of You Knit What? And you thought I was kidding. Nope. Pretty much consider it a Life Time Achievement Award.



The swan chart


Enter the swan. I’ve come this far what the hell is another 50 rows, right? It’s 25 rows on either end. I just know that if I pick this particular point in time to do my best imitation of a sane person, and quit while I’m still ahead, every time I look at that shawl, I will see something missing. That’s never a good feeling.

I know the rest of the world won’t know it’s missing but right now, it’s enough that I know it’s missing. Liz, bless her heart, is used to this shite from me. She’s already talked me out of one issue of More, More, so I used my head this time and didn’t consult with her.

Have I actually cast on yet? Well, what the hell do you think? Of course NOT.

In any event, I need to shake a leg. Today is Ditto’s Highland Dance Tea and apparently there’s an urgent need for cream cheese and cherry sandwiches and those little mushroom roll up thingies. And yes, Elizabeth, I made extras for you. Just for you. I’ll deliver them tonight, in the dead of dark, so you don’t have to share with the kids. Oh yes, I’m the bestest friend ever.

Talk to you’se all tomorrow; thanks for reading.


3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, February 11, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

What do you mean " every time I look at that shawl, I will see something missing"?????

I thought that you were going to box it up and send it away! It follows then, that you will, upon compleation of said shawl, that you will NEVER look at it. Nothing to see missing. Stop! I have to agree that less is more. The swan is beautiful but save it for something else. This is the Knitting Olympics. Think of the finish line Kate! Think of of how you can work the swan into your next project . Think of anything but changing the shawl again.

 
At 6:10 PM, February 11, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Lordy, I thought I was the only one with this problem. This is reason #1 that I hardly ever seem to finish big projects. I just can't leave it well enough alone.

Put the shawl in a box and send it away! Knit something!!!

That said, I am redesigning that accursed 1940's sweater as we speak. As of this afternoon I'm doing a Bohus Stickning design on the front. Who the hell knows what it might morph into tomorrow.

 
At 11:37 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

I have two words to say about adding to the shawl: fricken crazy! I think with this shawl you have already crossed the finish line.... box it up, babe, and move on! But I do love the swan!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home