Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Great Big Really Good Time


Bob Hallett, Great Big Sea

It was Christmas time revisited at the OddBall Crib. Tonight was the date for the Great Big Sea concert that the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division had bought tickets for my Christmas present. It was worth the wait, worth the money, worth it all.

If you've never seen GBS live, do so. Here's the link to their webpage so you've got NO excuses for not cluing into their concert schedule.

If you've never heard their music, you ought correct that shortcoming on your part.

I don't know if they 'translate' as well in other locales, but here in their back yard of the Maritimes, they had the place a-rocking. The entire audience from 8 to 80 years old were singing, clapping and more or less having a grand time. The first set was their traditional Newfoundland folk music (with the usual GBS twist) taken largely from their new album The Hard & the Easy. At the risk of being repetitious, it's well worth the money to buy the album. Don't let the 'folk', 'traditional', 'Newfoundland' labels put you off. If you like music, you will like this band.

The second set was just Great Big Sea at maximum energy.

Honest. I wouldn't lie to you.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, March 22, 2006, Blogger Sachi said...

This is me being jealous. :-\ I'm a huge fan of music and an even bigger fan of live folk music. I come from a small town on the West coast of the U.S. which doesn't really have much of the folk. I swear if I ever got to your neck of the woods or down to Appalachia, I'd ask everyone I'd meet to sing me a song their mom or dad taught them.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home