Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The OddBall Knittery is officially hatched


The sock (blockers) that Jack built.



Yesterday was a productive day, in spite of the fact I got very little knitting done. It was, among other things, errand day so I spent a lot of time running from hither and yon, picking up the this and a half dozen of that and a side order of something or other.

Things pretty much sailed smoothly which is always a disconcerting experience for me. The Staples delivery guy showed up at 8:30 and I was free to leave the house thereafter. That put me right straight into a spin.

First order of business was off to Jack McWilliam’s carpentry shop. Jack is a bit of a character. I met him ages ago when he was an auxiliary with the police force. He’s since retired, although Jack never strays far from one’s life. I now work with his son-in-law and three-quarters of the police force has hired him in one form or the other to build furniture for them. Jack’s a master craftsman and if you can show him a picture of it, he can pretty much build it.

I’d spent ages the other day trying to block the felted Christmas stockings but by the time they’ve finished fulling up, they’re very thick. It was impossible to nail them, staple them or pin them to the blocking board. From some small, cobweb encrusted recess of my mind, I suddenly remembered that old fashioned sock blocker/stretcher device. Just the ticket, I thought, except I need it in bigger sizes. Enter Jack’s workshop.

Like I said, if you can describe it to Jack, he can build it and that made him the man for the job. By 11 am, I was standing in his workshop, ankle deep in sawdust, and we were tracing the two sizes of blockers I needed on a piece of scrap plywood. There was no gossiping during this visit. It was merely a mutual exchange of social intelligence. By 3 in the afternoon, I had a call back from Jack -- they were done and he was sending them over with his daughter, who lives right around the corner from me. You can’t beat that for service.

In the meanwhile, I managed to make it to the Canada/NB Business Service Centre on Queen St to get all the info I needed for to get my tax numbers and business name registration. I ran into Liz and we had coffee before she was off to write her American History exam.

Everyone I’ve dealt with has been so very helpful. The woman at the Business Service Centre told me to make sure I called around for the registration name searches because there’s quite a spread in what different companies charge and sure enough, there was. In any event, I didn’t bother calling everyone in the province. I just stuck with the three in Fredericton and sent them an email with the particulars.

Before the end of the day, I even managed to do some knitting. I got about 3 inches done on “the therapy sock”, did some beading on the Shawl that Time Forgot and I sewed up a machine knit sock for felting. Now, I just need to do another 11 of those puppies and I’ll have enough for a washing machine load.

The OddBall slept the sleep of the Just last night, I’ll tell you.

Today has also gone frightening well, which makes it two days in a row and now I’m starting to get edgy. I did a bit of fighting with the Revenue Canada site trying to procure my business number. (Yes, I know, it’s now the CCRA or whatever but it’ll be Revenue Canada to me until I die). I took three stabs at it and kept getting kicked off the site. Apparently, there was a coding error somewhere and it had decided I was a limousine driver who didn’t live in Canada…hell of a long cry from a good Maritime girl who knits socks.

In any event, I called them and after a modest 5 or 6 voice mail menus, I talked to Greg. Greg was brilliantly helpful and within 10 minutes, I had my business number in hand.

Before 10 am, I had the report back from the name search company, in an Adobe document format, which I could conveniently attach, along with my newly issued Revenue Canada Business Number, to my request for registration made to the Lord High Admiralty of Corporate Registrations for the Province of New Brunswick via the Service NB website. And that went just stupendously well.

So there you have it, less than 24 hours have elapsed and $158 later, and The OddBall Knittery has been born. I have not acquired any ulcers or even a hate on for humanity in the process. Corporate Services for the Province still needs to sign off but it’s highly unlikely the name will be rejected at this stage.

Of course, all this raging success and productivity can only mean one thing -- I need to do some more freaking work on the Shawl Time Forgot.

Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

I am so impressed! Now I know who to give a call to should I ever decide to enter the insanity of "small business".

You are the wind beneith my wings!

 
At 2:15 PM, April 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one think the OddBall forget in her mad rush to become a small business. The IT department now can offically charge for time on OddBall projects and meetings. Lets see. Requirments meeting, implementation, user feed back meeting, changes to implementation, User testing, debuging, final inplementation and training of OddBall on new application. We can just hear the money rolling into the IT department.

 
At 2:34 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

No...she didn't forget that little thing. I'm using my new invoicing programme to calculate your bills owing for meals cooked.

Double charges for cracks about sweaters.

Trust me, I'll come out on top. I always do.

 
At 7:00 PM, April 19, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Jackie, it was so slick and easy that I wasn't compelled to drink a vat of whiskey or anything.

I may save that for later tonight...who the hell turned the trees on to 'full pollinate" mode?

 
At 7:47 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Ah, yes. The joys of spring. I may have to get my heavy duty drugs out.
Accupuncture seem to help me, though. My allergies haven't been nearly as bad in the past few years. It is amasing what a few well placed jabs can do.

 
At 3:19 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Although the labor was a little rough for you, congratulations on the birth of The OddBall Knittery. You'll probably just be left with a few stretch marks that will fade with time!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home