Friday, May 19, 2006

It's done and gone...


The year that was

Hard to believe but The Shawl That Time Forgot has grown up and headed west to seek her fame and fortune in the US. I hope it makes some money for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation.

For better or worse, it’s out of the OddBall crib, mistakes and all. There are a couple of mistakes in it but to correct them, I’d have to unwind the entire shawl. It wasn’t happening, particularly when two independent observers couldn’t see them until they were pointed out to them. Of course, to my eye, they were about as obvious as an elephant’s tracks through a lemon meringue pie.

Blocking it was an adventure. There were several false starts, mostly starting at the lumber store. I said I was going to Wilkins. I should have stuck with that plan but by the time I biked over to the OddBall IT and Technical Support’s office to pick up the car -- the one day this month he had it -- I was half-way to Kent’s. I had repressed entirely what morons they are. Here’s the upshot -- they sold me four 1x2s. The problem was they didn’t actually have any. Nice. I ended up with 2x2s at a cheaper price because the 1x2s they sold me were knotty pine. I guess the part of the explanation where I mentioned I was making a frame to staple a big assed sheet to it was lost. I don’t know if men have these kinds of experience in Kent’s but I know every time I darken the doorstep, it ends up taking me at least an hour longer than it should and usually three arguments with staff members. Okay, one time it was understandable when I was ordering roll upon roll of galvanized steel wire -- something like a quarter-mile of it before I was done.

“What are you doing with all that wire?”

“Knitting it.”

He got a rather strange look on his face, but what do you make YOUR chain maille from?

But other than that, my trips to the lumber store aren’t all that strange. They’re usually pretty simple and nothing weird in the order. 2x4s, 1x2s. And every single time, they get something messed up. Wednesday was no different. After buying the four sticks of non-existent 1x2s, I ended up settling for 2x2s at a much cheaper price. Liz wouldn’t be surprised. It’s hardly the first project I’ve tackled that was over engineered by 50%.

We tried setting up at Liz’s house and it probably would have worked, except she was dealing with a sick kid and it would have meant trapping one boy child on the couch, completely separated from the bathroom by a big assed chunk of silk shawl. Not workable.

Bless the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division. He set the frame up in one room of the basement and when I decided I needed more room to move around it, he tore it down and set it up in another room. Finally, it worked out and an hour later, the shawl was blocked. Surprisingly, with all the reefing, hauling and pulling, only one beading cluster let loose when I was blocking.

It’s been almost a full year from start to finish. I was looking at my records and I dyed the silk for the shawl on May 26, 2005 and it’s going for sale/raffle in Boulder on the May 26th weekend of this year. Nice sense of symmetry. The circle of time has come full rotation. It's time to move on, all of us.

How could I give it away? It’s a question asked of me a lot lately. It’s really not hard. It’s time for the shawl to go make her way in the world. I just hope whoever ends up with her loves her as dearly as I did.

Talk to you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, May 20, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

Congrats on finishing it! It's truly lovely.

 
At 6:12 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

I suppose you could look at it as being akin to booting your offspring out the door to college.

'cept way cheaper.

 
At 6:16 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

In the area of lumber, I have two words for you. "Devon Lumber". I have horror Kent's stories too. And I found out why. They give their staff NO training. I knew a gal who worked there for one day. She decided she had had enough when her "trainer" gave her the bare minimum instructions and then left her to sink or swim. I actually had a job training experience like that once, but it was all good. It was at T-Plus (for those of you old time Frederictonians who remember such a place). Shirley, bless her heart, showed me how to make coffee, where the supplies were kept, asked me if I knew about sales tax (I did) and then said "I'm going over to the Lunar Rogue for a beer, If you have any problems, call. They know who I am. I'll be back at closing time to show you what to do." No lumber cut to size. No super sized warehouse. No problem. Coffee, beans and cups, tea, snacks and a few knickknacks.

So....when do you start your next shawl ::snicker snicker:: And speaking of shawls, I have a question to ask you about the one that I want to do, but it will requier looking at the pattern. I bow to your knowledge. (bowbow)

 
At 3:43 PM, May 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tres tres beau, felicitations!
Mme. Crochet....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home