Sunday, May 28, 2006

No, I'm not exactly insane. Yet.


This is the goal post

Question of the Month: How long can an OddBall go without a lace shawl in her life?

Answer: Apparently not longer than 6 days.

The Shawl Time Forgot was shipped to Colorado on Friday. By Sunday, I had been lured over to Jackie’s house to see her new shawl pattern and answer a question she had. I started to feel the pangs of withdrawal. She even emailed me a second shawl pattern. I went home and started fondling parts of the stash and looking longingly at my big book of shawl patterns and leafing through my binder(s) of dream projects. I’ve got a zillion miles of angora/silk blend that needs something done with it…

I spent the next two nights dreaming about lace shawls. And stoles. Stoles work too. I considered dragging out my Faux Russian Stole and getting it cranked off the needles and that’s still a possibility but I’m really, really in the mood for something done on piano wires with dental floss and it's in B&L singles on 6 mms. You know how it is. You get something stuck in your mind and there is no denying it. The Faux Russian Shawl just isn't going to cut it.

“No”, I said to myself, in a very firm and business like manner. “I’m going to be sensible and knit socks this summer.” Socks are the perfect summer hand knitting project. They’re easy and portable and fit into my bike bags with a minimum of fuss. They don’t require charts, graphs, magnifying scopes, stitch markers (okay, 2 stitch markers), rulers, pencils, photocopiers, highlights and tables of code interpretation. Socks need none of that stuff. I can knit socks in my sleep. They are brainless and I would be so very happy with it all when it’s fall and time for socks. Oh yes, I know I will.


And this is where I'm to

I lasted until Thursday. I should have known better than to walk into Singer with lace on my brain because what was the very firstest thing to look at when I walked in the door? Fiddlesticks knitting patterns. And a new shipment of merino/tussah silk blend yarn in more yummy colours than I can even talk about.

Socks? What freaking socks? Who the hell needs socks in July? So much for the practical plans.

It’s entirely Jackie’s fault. No, really, it is. I was doing well and then she had to get involved and now it’s lace on the needles again. Isn’t it pretty?

Talk at you’se all laters. I need to go start Chart # 3. Thanks for reading.

PS: Yes, I know. There are such things as lace socks. I even knit a pair (okay, one and 3/4s of a pair and then I lost the pattern and probably the 3/4s and I think I tossed the one last month, but you are SOOOOOOOOOOOO missing the point. I want wrappy, gauzy, flowy, fluttery, miles and miles and miles of bloody "k2, ssk, yo, k2, sl1, k1, psso...". Perhaps only the lace knitting addicts "get it". The sane portion of the population just goes crosseyed and wishes us luck.

15 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Oh, I definitely understand the need for acres & acres of knitted lace. I don't quite see the point of lace socks--knitted lace stockings, sure. Knitted lace socks just ain't gonna cut it.

 
At 3:51 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger msfortuknit said...

That is going to be gorgeous~!

 
At 4:30 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting it off the straights and onto circulars so I can get a better look at it. Unfortunately, my LYS doesn't have any 3.25 mm Addi's in so I had to order them online. I tried using some other circulars but the join was driving me!!

 
At 7:43 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Ha! I haven't even cast on yet. I think that I have lace fear. I must get over it. I must cast on. Where did you order you addi's from and how much?

 
At 8:49 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger msfortuknit said...

no addis are the best! Next time you need to order them online, I have a great person/link! They come from europe and you can get them for half price as well as only only paying 1.50 for shipping! Its great!

 
At 9:15 PM, May 28, 2006, Anonymous canknitian said...

I dropped by Singer on Thursday, too, and it took everything I had not to buy some of the Fiddlesticks yarn and a pattern or two. I still may go back for the yarn (what a deal!) even if I don't know that I'll use it for.

 
At 8:16 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger kifknits said...

I had such a hard time finding needles I liked for my Flirty too!
Tried my Needlemaster set - hated the join!
Tried my nylon circulars - no points!
Settled on a very old stainless steel metal circular and am up to row 41 now!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

 
At 8:20 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Annie said...

I'm with Canknitian - I went into Singer, started to drool over the Fiddlesticks pattern and wonderful yarn, especially the pattern that only took ONE BALL...I could justify that, couldn't I? Anyway, I promised that I would finish the poncho that I've been dragging around then I'm hittin' the yarn store (unless you all beat me to it) Happy stitches!!

 
At 8:30 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Kate,
That shawl is absolutely gorgeous!!! How could you not knit it! DIVINE DIVINE!

 
At 8:33 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

I love these people with the self-discipline to do ONE project at a time.

Snort.

Monogamy is for marriage; not knitting baskets.

 
At 4:41 AM, May 30, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

Spectacular pattern! I love the color you chose.

 
At 10:30 PM, May 30, 2006, Blogger lobstah said...

Flirty Ruffles is indeed a seductive knit! I only did the first few rows this weekend. I've been a bit nervous about this one as I had some trouble keeping the pattern correct during swatching. I'm sure I'll get it figured out eventually. Looks like yours is off to a roaring start :)

 
At 11:02 PM, May 31, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Okay you nut, couldn't you go a week without lace on the brain?

I see a lobectomy in the future.

 
At 12:18 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Cynthia said...

Very nice; I love Flirty Ruffles - it is so seductive! Lace socks are great but not quite the same thing. And I say sing it sister on the non-monogamous knitting basket!!!

 
At 12:37 PM, September 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a lovely shawl!!!
Where may I find that pattern? Please, oh please tell me. thanks

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home