Thursday, May 04, 2006

An OddBall Snafu.


An OddBall disaster

The morning started off productively enough. I was up and at’em early in the morning. I was dressed, had the blog written and was fully caffeinated well before 8:30 am.

I wound some balls of wool from skeins and was just settling down to a good day’s knitting, when the earth moved, and not by means approved by our Diana. No, I had inadvertently hooked the back of my chair on a support piece of the wire shelving that holds the ‘wall of wool’ next to the knitting machine and when I pulled myself up the knitting machine, the support came with me.

Gravity ensued. The resulting carnage is pictured above. That’ll teach me to get all smug about actually getting ahead on something around here. Fortunately, no OddBalls were (seriously) injured in this bit of buffoonery. My dignity, however, took a bit of a shellacking.

Of course the Odd Ball IT and Technical Support Division was at work, which probably was a good thing. Not that I couldn’t have used an extra hand when I was trying to simultaneously hold up the shelving unit, unload it and unhook my chair. However, his absence ensured that he didn’t laugh at my plight and that alone saved me from having to kill him.

So, the day got off to an official good start by yet another errand to be run. This one was to Home Hardware to pick up cable zip ties. Not that there wouldn’t be 973 000 of the damn things in this house somewhere but the IT and Technical Support Division is feigning ignorance on the subject. Specifically, I got "yes, we have them and damned if I know where they are." Now that's what you call Technical Assistance.

All along, I’ve known that I needed to figure out something to make the wire shelving more stable but it wasn’t until I was literally digging my way out from under it that it came to me. Three hours and one hundred zip ties later and I dare say that shelf isn’t going anywhere in a hurry. In the meanwhile, my hands are cut to pieces from tightening them down. I like the directions on the zip ties…snug up the tie and cut off the excess. Cut it off with what? Because, I am here to tell you, it’s not scissors. I even dug out a pair of wire cutters (useless) and another pair of shears. A couple look like I gnawed them off with my teeth, which probably would have been faster.



Order hath been restored

On the bright side, the studio really needed to be dusted, cleaned and vacuumed. And I found one of the claw weights that had been among the missing for a while.

Tomorrow is another day. . Now if you’ll all excuse me, I’m going to go pour myself a nice shot of whiskey. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading

4 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

I used to work at a gift shop and we used those shelving units for the T-shirts. They made me cry.

 
At 2:48 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

I hate that whole physics thing of gravity. At least the yarn wasn't injured!

 
At 7:54 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Thanks for the mental picture.

 
At 5:28 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

I've been rummaging around in my yarn trying to make room for these five-pound cones of yarn I just bought on eBay and re-considered the shelf idea.

Then I realised that the cat would somehow levetate himself up about ten feet to the shelf with the expensive stuff and make a nest. Then I'd have to kill him.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home