Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Trinity Stich Shawl Revisited


A shawl revisited

Sometimes there’s a bonus feature associated with doing the right thing. For those of you who have had to listen to me prattle on (and on and on) about the shawl I did for the Tyler Hamilton Foundation, you’ve already been subjected to the blocking woes.

Yeah, I know but here comes yet another instalment and for those of you who thought that the shawl being delivered in Colorado meant I would finally shut up about it, keep dreaming. As recent readers of this Blog already know, the shawl was huge and it turned out, I decided it had to be blocked during the recent monsoon season in the Maritimes. Though the jigs and the reels, and considerable consultation over small cans of fermented hops, it was decided by the assemblage of fibre people that the building of a blocking frame was the way to go.

One idiot trip to the local lumber store later and with considerable patience and perseverance from the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division, and a blocking frame materialized in the basement. One big ass silk shawl was pinned to it and dried and that was the end of that. Or so one would think.

This morning, I was contemplating tearing the thing apart because an 8’ x 8’ lumber frame wrapped in a gold mystery fibre blanket is a bit of an obstacle to navigation. Then it came to me that I’ve never really properly blocked the Trinity Stitch Shawl because I never had enough uninterrupted space to do the deed. That excuse apparently doesn’t hold up to scrutiny anymore at the OddBall Crib. And here, Jackie thought I would be months, if not years, before I used it again.

Voila…one blocked shawl, now drying, while I contemplate its fate. This is the shawl I worked on while my mom was in palliative care last year. It was a very comforting project for me while I sat the night shifts by her bed. I guess I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to this one and I’ve never decided if I’m going to keep it for myself or if I’m going to put it up for sale. In any event, I’ll be better able to make the decision once it’s truly finished. In its unblocked state, it was a bit small for me but I think that’s been rectified with blocking.

In any event, it’s the night shift for me tonight. Time for me to go have a nap. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, May 25, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Wrap your self in that baby and remember your mothers love.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home