Friday, June 09, 2006

Because I ** need** another project...


Field of Flowers


What’s up at the Knittery these days?

Well, I’ve been mostly occupied with the fun and games that come with being a Momma…orthodontist appointments and et cetera. I hate having to run here, there and everywhere to look after these details. I know, it makes me your nominee for Mother of the Year but good grief, it makes accomplishing something just a tad on the difficult side.

Bitching aside, I have managed to actually do something. I’ve finished most of the machine knitting for the felted briefcase and I’ve overdyed 2 skeins of yarn for the remaining section. Just waiting for it to dry so I can knit it up and then it’s all going into the big felting machine in the basement. Undoubtedly, that’s when the cursing will start in earnest.

I carefully calculated the amount of material I need for this and then basically added either 8 stitches or 8 rows in all directions. The main body of what I’m doing is done in black wool and it felts like a dream. What I’m really trying to avoid is going to sew the bag together and find out I’m ¾s of an inch short right at the worst possible place. You know it would happen, so the fudge factor was factored in. I’m probably still off by a factor of about 10. Me and felting -- sometimes it works and sometimes, not so hot.

To help me relax with the machine knitting -- let’s face it, that thing is just WORK -- I’m still beavering away on Miss Flirty Ruffles. I think I’m at row 108 or something, almost finished Chart # 3 in any event. It’s getting knit away intermittently with the latest latest project.

Every July, here in Fredericton, we host the NB Highland Games. It’s a celebration of all things Scottish, from pipe bands, and Highland Dance competitions, caber tossing and other Scottish games, whiskey tasting, Gaelic language lessons, Gaelic choirs, tartan weavers, etc, etc. This year is the 25th anniversary of the Games and in honour of that, I’m putting together a static display on Shetland lace. Eventually, I would like to have a full display on Scottish knitting in general, but realistically, the only thing I’ll get done this year is some lace samples.

Above is sample one -- Field of Flowers on both stocking stitch background and garter stitch background. Obviously, I have a few more to knit up between now and the end of July.

Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

13 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Sachi said...

You're so cute. I want to be you when I grow up!

 
At 6:28 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

That yarn looks great! How is it to knit with?

I just want you to know that I haven't yet put your birthday yarn away in stash land yet. They are on my microwave where I sniff and fondle them daily. I will use them some day when I tire of their beauty, AS IF!

 
At 9:12 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

The yarn is nice for knitting. It has enough of that sponginess that it's going to work brilliantly for the samples.

And yes, I saw your birthday stash lurking there the other day when I picked up the yarn the other day...you old silk huffer, you.

 
At 9:44 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

Good luck with the bag! I love the idea.

So envious of your Highland Games, too. Ours is miniscule, and who doesn't need more men in kilts?

 
At 11:57 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Ahhhhhhhh, men in kilts. And people think I volunteer for this three day schmoozle to demonstrate knitting techniques and cheer on Ditto's Highland dance efforts.

NOT.

 
At 1:30 AM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

The last couple local Highland Games I went to had no knitting whatsoever, unless you wanted to buy an overpriced imported shawl. There was some primitive frame loom weaving from some historical reinactors and a few sheep in a pen but no wool to buy.

But there was haggis. Right next to the gyro/pizza stand.

Apparently they figure in the South we're just there for the big guys throwing stuff and the alcohol.

 
At 4:29 AM, June 11, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

severina, your Highland Games has gyros, too? So does ours. Weird, huh? Was Greece a Scottish colony I wasn't aware of?

I think it's great that you're doing a display on traditional lace, Kate. It'll be stunning!

 
At 7:03 AM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Now, Dancing, I thought the linguist girl in you would have snaffled right on to that one. The word Celt coming from the greek word Keltoi, meaning 'wandering bunch of freaking lunatics".


And my dear, you haven't lived yet until you've had a slice of haggis and oatmeal pizza. And don't be mocking the mighty clan of MacGyros.

Seriously, I stopped taking the purity of Scottish heritage seriously about the same time I found out that there is a registered tartan, registered by the Tartan College in Scotland nonetheless, called Scrooge McDuck. Seriously, view it at www.tartans.scotland. net.

Basically, you can get anything made into instant heritage if you splash enough cash in the right circles, and THAT my friend, is a fine old Scottish tradition.

 
At 1:17 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Ahhh, www.tartans.scotland.net tells me the venerable Murphy tartan goes back as far as 1978.

Instead of weaving it for me I guess they just print it up on an inkjet.

 
At 1:52 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger dancingbarefoot said...

Haggis and oatmeal pizza? **sobbing**

Dear Lord, that sounds like a combo I never hope to meet in a back alley.

 
At 6:51 AM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Kate, the Odd Ball Knitter said...

Let's face it, about 90% of Scottish cuisine finds its origins in a dare.

 
At 7:45 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

So is that why they all seem to look so grim?

I was once dared to eat a Scotch Egg in a pub but being Irish I just punched the guy. If he had just plopped the thing in a glass and dared me to drink it, then that would have been a different story entirely.

 
At 9:35 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Highland games and sheep dog trials, the joys of summer in a country far warmer than Scotland. I think the games in McPherson, KS have yet to be rained out. If your a Scot, ya have to get on with it!
The lace looks grand
to be sure.
Deb

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home