Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Mystery Swatch Revealed!!!


Absolutely nothing like this

A rose is a rose is a rose and sometimes, a swatch is a swatch is a swatch.

The yellow swatch posted earlier was exactly that -- a swatch. It’s not going to become anything although it might get sacrificed to the wool gods yet when I need little bits of yellow stuff cut out of felt.

But, OddBall, you said it was Step 1 of some mystery project? Well, yes, my little partridges, I didn’t lie to you or even dissemble. It’s the first step in me figuring out how to build a felted briefcase. The felted briefcase is envisioned to be exactly like the one picture above except for the few adjusted details noted below:

  • Different colour
  • Different yarn in both brand and weight
  • No buttons, beads or windings
  • Different or no buckles
  • Different handles
  • No dangly lariat thing
  • Different motif design
  • Completely different construction

But other than that, it’s exactly like the one pictured above and, in interests of credit where credit is due, was found in the Winter 2005 issue of Knitter’s magazine. I loved the idea of a felted bag but for starters, there is no way on God’s little green earth that Mrs MacKay’s idiot daughter Kate is going to hand-knit a bag to felt the living tar out of it. It is not happening.

And I’m not into that whole SouthWest motif thing. And why would I use anything other than my good old home grown Briggs & Little when I’m planning to beat the living jebesus out of it in the first place? And I don’t like the construction technique for the corners. I thing they can be sharpened up a bit. Okay, I like the leather wrap on the handles but don’t like the handles, per se. And I’m all for the feet on the bottom of it. And the dimensions probably work for me. But other than that, it’s about to be OddBall’d all to Hell and gone.

The point of doing the swatch was because at some point in the design of this here briefcase, I’m going to have to figure out how many stitches and how many rows, etc, etc, etc. So, in the interests of being scientific, instead of my usual eyeballing it, I crank up the knitting machine. Eyeballing it doesn’t work so well when step 2 of the project involves lots of hot water and about 5 cycles through the washing machine. Enter the 100 stitches by 100 rows swatch. When I’m finished felting it, I’ll have an idea of how many stitches I need to cast on for each piece.

Other than that, knitting has been somewhat boring around here. A bit more has been done on Miss Flirty Ruffles. The Addi-Turbo circulars just arrived so I can switch off the straight needles.

I’ve knit 4 stockings for felting, along with some do-dads to go on the other socks. They’re in this felting run through. I would have had 5 stocks finished but, alas, I ran out of navy yarn about 30 feet short of the finish line on the last and of course, it was the last skein in captivity. I feel a Briggs & Little run coming on shortly but I’m trying to hold out a little while longer. The stash is getting to the almost manageable stage and I’d like to keep it there for a while.

In any event, work to do. In this case, it’s the work I actually get paid for but I’m off the night shifts. Talk at you’se all laters; thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, June 07, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

So things are business as usual at the oddball knittery. I like this pattern, but I just want to change a few things. What is it about us that makes us want to tweek everything?

 
At 10:03 AM, June 07, 2006, Anonymous The Hubby said...

The IT department wants one in khaki with a large red hammer and scikle on in. I might get it before a sweater.

 
At 12:41 PM, June 07, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

well IT department you might be on to something. Ask for a bag, and you mayget it. I am bettin if you asked for a christmas sock you could have it tomorrow. Or you could set up a charity for her to donate an incredibly expensive, bloodsweat and tears item to. Make it something obscure and she'll never figure its you.
It Will work I bet.;-)

 
At 11:26 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger diosaperdida said...

o...I am going to be making a large felted bag..maybe I will try machine knitting mine too!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home