Friday, June 30, 2006

Oh for a good night's sleep...



Greetings to my ever-patient readers. Sorry about the disruption but I’ve been on a bit of a break. It was scheduled to be the OddBall Family annual vacation but plans got changed. This year’s interruption in service has been sponsored by Diabetes Mellitus and its ugly step cousin, Hypo Gylcemia. Nasty pair they are. I haven’t got a whole lot done because I’ve spent much of the last two weeks looking for enough sugar in my body to run my brain. Unpleasant, to say the least.

But hope is on the horizon. My insulin type and dosage was changed yesterday to something which promises to be more stable and if the Gods are willing and the wind is right, this will be the last episode of this nonsense, until of course, the next episode. Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of diabetes, where all constants are variables and the adventure never ends.

On the knitting front, I actually have done some of it. I’m still working on the samples for the Highland Games although sad to receive the news yesterday that Jackie won’t be able to attend with us. Something about cottage, free, vacation, quiet, enjoyable, happy kids trumped Liz, me, whiskey and a thousand men in kilts. Man, she really must love those kids

Of course, July is on the horizon which means it’s Tour de France time and as the annual preamble to the greatest sporting event ever invented, it’s doping, doping and more doping. Things are so bad this year that any minute now I expect the phone to ring with some sporting director seeing if the OddBall IT and Technical Support Division is ready to make the Tour as a last minute rider. Yup, things are that desperate. As of this morning, Ullrich, Basso and Lord knows who else is sitting on the sidelines. Nice.

Idiots.

I’m so glad that the Spanish criminal authorities are in the loop on this one. The sporting authorities have repeatedly demonstrated that they couldn’t catch a cold on a good day. Now, maybe, just maybe, we’ll have a proper investigation to this matter. And not that any professional cyclists read this blog, but here goes the OddBall opinion anyway. I’ve spent the best part of the last month trying to manage a chronic illness and literally going to bed wondering if I’ll wake up in the morning, only to be jolted out of sleep by my body screaming for help. My work mates have been keeping an eagle eye on me and my reactions, so I don’t actually kill someone. I have very little sympathy for these lads. They want to play with needles, they ought come try out my needles for a while. The real problem is mine come with a life sentence and it’s a shortened one at that.

Okay, back to the bit of tying knots in string -- no, really, I feel better for that rant, honest -- I’ve managed to block all the pieces for the felted briefcase and I think I’ve finalized the plan of attack for putting it together. I have managed to get some serious pondering done in the last couple of weeks.

I haven’t got a damn thing done on Miss Flirty Ruffles, which is fine. I’ll play with her after the Highland Games.

In any event, here’s to hope that normal service will be restored and I’ll be back to the needles and the Blog in record time.

Talk at you’se laters; thanks for reading.

7 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, June 30, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Sorry about the highland games thing but the cottage is not only all of the things that you said, but GRANDPARENT FREE TOO! This is a really big deal! This has only happened once before in the 13 years that we have been going there and that was because we has friends visiting from Switzerland. I am so looking forward to sitting on my ass and doing FA. And unfortunately, that week was the only week that we could go. I said it before and I'll say it again. Maybe next year for the Highland Games.

As for your being sick.... DAMN!! WOMAN!! Be careful! We don't want to lose you yet. I'm sure that Ditto and IT div. agree.

And I totally agree with you on the whole fit idiots injecting shit into themselves thing. I mean, really! There are a few replaceable parts now for the ones that we humans come with, but health and immune systems are not two of them. You know those games you used to play when you were a kid.... If you had three wishes what would they be? My first wish would be to get rid of allergies. They suck.

 
At 2:54 PM, July 02, 2006, Blogger Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Kate,
I also have hypoglyceamia, and it sucks. If I am not careful, I just feel like taking a long nap. I hope that you get the Diabetes under control, its a bitch for sure.
As for fiber stuff, I got a needle felting machine and have been having a blast playing with my new toy. It is a little toy sewing machine with felting needles that do all the work.
Ta,
Deb

 
At 7:13 PM, July 02, 2006, Anonymous Willie's Momma said...

Hey you... I hope you are feeling better real soon. DM is nasty. Take care of yourself.

I am out of the field for the long weekend and went home to sleep. I will be back in the 'nam tomorrow night and deploy for the field first thing tuesday morning. I will call this weekend 'cause Poppa and the Beast are coming to Fredericton and Ditto could come swimming at the hotel if she is available. On that happy note, I am going back to bed.

 
At 9:25 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Severina said...

Oooh, take care of yourself, girl! You wouldn't want a bunch of us to come up there and give you a lecture now, would you?

*shakes finger threateningly*

Hope they can get that shit under control.

 
At 3:43 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Diana said...

Blah.... DM is a nasty-ass chronic illness. Tell me about it... I've had it for quite a while and am now on insulin. So my needles really are pointy!!!

 
At 5:08 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger jackie said...

Kate!

Are you still alive? Did you ever get that "good night's sleep"?

 
At 1:48 PM, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Joni said...

Greetings! I wanted to let you know that I just e-mailed you a copy of the ring code from the RingSurf admin. site. You’re listed as a member of the Fiber Arts Bloggers webring, but your blog is in the queue at the moment as you haven’t the ring code up on your blog. If you want to e-mail me when you have the ring code back up and whatnot, I’ll check it out and get you back into the ring as quickly as I can. Let me know if you need any help! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home